CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Is that a 36” Light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes it is. I’m pushing this 462. I’m really happy with it though. This spruce is fairly soft. Harder wood, it won’t be seeing the 36 for production work, but a 32 or a 28. Also, lots of bucking here, so the 462 is really nice for that.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it is. I’m pushing this 462. I’m really happy with it though. This spruce is fairly soft. Harder wood, it won’t be seeing the 36 for production work, but a 32 or a 28. Also, lots of bucking here, so the 462 is really nice for that.

Too large to handle with the processor on the landing? Or too much load on the skyline the reason for bucking in the brush?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Too large to handle with the processor on the landing? Or too much load on the skyline the reason for bucking in the brush?

Pretty long for the stroker, tight landings, and not the best deflection. The spruce seem to be pretty hard on the stroker, so they are hand processing quite a bit as well. Most jobs with mostly fir though are mostly straight dump up to 24 inch or so. But that is a really rough rule as I’m sure you know, because you could have 30 inch trees 2 logs tall, or 20 inch trees 4 logs, so it’s kinda a judgment thing. Depending on the yarder, landing, etc.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry to go on about this, but I thought I would mention that each logging side-rod might have their own idea of what is more productive. Set two chokers or one? Pay the cutter to buck it, or the chaser? Ok, now I’m done.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty long for the stroker, tight landings, and not the best deflection. The spruce seem to be pretty hard on the stroker, so they are hand processing quite a bit as well. Most jobs with mostly fir though are mostly straight dump up to 24 inch or so. But that is a really rough rule as I’m sure you know, because you could have 30 inch trees 2 logs tall, or 20 inch trees 4 logs, so it’s kinda a judgment thing. Depending on the yarder, landing, etc.

Spruce is hard on anything mechanical doesn’t matter if it’s a stroker or roller machine. Seems like landing space is a Commodity that’s limited you’d be amazed how small we have to use with 3 sorts of logs, pulp, and alder logs.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
10:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to go on about this, but I thought I would mention that each logging side-rod might have their own idea of what is more productive. Set two chokers or one? Pay the cutter to buck it, or the chaser? Ok, now I’m done.

I like hearing how y’all cut & why.

It helps us Easterners understand more, & sometimes we pick up those tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That's been an argument since day one. Ultimately, for 99% of jobs, it's cheaper to process on the landing. The big issue on state and federal jobs is if the forester wants to deal with slash disposal on or around the landing.

I had one job near Glendale (lower Cow Creek), a commercial thinning on BLM ground and it was a pretty nasty looking job so my partner and I bid $100/1000 because they (BLM) wanted full manufacture in the brush. The purchaser hadn't gotten any other bids so they took ours. They didn't make much money on that job. The next unit on that same job they put a dangle-head on the landing and made a lot more money.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's been an argument since day one. Ultimately, for 99% of jobs, it's cheaper to process on the landing. The big issue on state and federal jobs is if the forester wants to deal with slash disposal on or around the landing.

I had one job near Glendale (lower Cow Creek), a commercial thinning on BLM ground and it was a pretty nasty looking job so my partner and I bid $100/1000 because they (BLM) wanted full manufacture in the brush. The purchaser hadn't gotten any other bids so they took ours. They didn't make much money on that job. The next unit on that same job they put a dangle-head on the landing and made a lot more money.
Yeah, it’s interesting how all that works. I could see it costing more if the crew has to shut down to buck an old-growth or something, but if they can pull it and process it, it’s gotta be cheaper than paying the faller.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, it’s interesting how all that works. I could see it costing more if the crew has to shut down to buck an old-growth or something, but if they can pull it and process it, it’s gotta be cheaper than paying the faller.

Not just cheaper but it has to be safer too less mess on the ground for a guy to get caught up in. Is it any safer to leave the feathers on well yarding vs bucked and limbed wood?

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
8704FAB6-D448-4E9D-994F-7C23E5AE71EA.jpeg Agreed. It’s also pretty hard to stick the big trees on the hill when they grow here.
Not just cheaper but it has to be safer too less mess on the ground for a guy to get caught up in. Is it any safer to leave the feathers on well yarding vs bucked and limbed wood?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing on that one, but quite a few spots @HYPERSAWS tethered me with a rope. The blessing of being the skinny guy. Lol.

I know the feeling or my favorite you can fit in this little hole you’ll be fine if you get stuck we’ll just yank you by the feet.