Trees you've cut

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last one from the previous photos are the reason I don't like being under dead ash trees. They aren't all like that, some are solid and will hold a hinge. I didn't trust that one a bit. Had a heavy lean and that is where it went. Was a less than ideal direction and there was some collateral damage in a neighboring walnut. The walnut probably would have been ok if it weren't for a codominant stem. Did make for a nice sunset climb to cut the hanger loose and survey the field of destruction though.
IMG_7778.JPG IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7781.JPG IMG_7782.JPG IMG_7783.JPG

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_7776.JPG IMG_7777.JPG IMG_7785.JPG IMG_7786.JPG IMG_7787.JPG
They were everywhere. I wanted to cut them all years ago when they first stopped leafing out. Property owner always said she liked to store her firewood standing. I tried to explain that wouldn't be the case with the borer killed ash. The majority of this stuff is junk now. Now that her daughter is getting married atop the field, I get the pleasure of dealing with hazardous rotten trash instead of good solid firewood. A few fell across the driveway on calm beautiful days when she had just gone through to tend the herd and blocked her out. I think she started to realize the liability of the situation. Could have been her underneath if timing was wrong. Then to think about several hundred people walking back n forth all day underneath.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still heavy, tho

164008516.Q6eA5YyC.mediashare_6fd889.jpg

163996230.BFhDXmvY.mediashare_e201f6.jpg

We get a couple down every big storm :(

162839366.81mN6EKv.IMG_20160324_114237.jpg

Although the storm that did that, also did this:
Before -
167382021.a5hkSVLy.gt57.jpg

After:

167381900.Xbl1hmgi.gt27.jpg

One of the draw backs of having lovely river front property is the property is on the river front. :(

So, before it was spring, then a cold storm blew every leaf away and dulled the grass? Quite a storm

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beeches only make it to about 250 yrs. Horsechestnuts even less so. Both with an 044.

158669480.AafAgfjU.walledgardenbeechhdr1920.jpg

157830679.eMGndjgj.beech14.jpg

157830680.YHhL1r5A.beech142.jpg

The beech reminded me a bit of the big Leaf Maple I cut down for a bud in Oregon. Yer always worried if such an old tree is gonna just come apart on you when you see gunk coming out.

130910628.u5BYloke.010.JPG

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Luckily, I have not gotten PI real bad for a long time, but I get a mild case of it almost every year … seems the vines are on almost everything around here.

Red Oak thrives on Acidic Soil and out paced many other trees when we had the Acid Rain problem. Luckily, that has mostly been resolved (in the 70s, many lakes in the Adirondack Mtns were devoid of fish), but the foot hold the Red Oaks acquired is still evident.

Most (but not all) of the Ash Trees near me are dead or dying, but are doing better at my upstate property. However, even up there I think the watershed is removing lots of them. About 40% of my Upstate 50 acres is Ash, will be a big shame if they all disappear.

My property is mostly had Ash + Black Cherry, with some Beech, Hard Maple and Red Oak thrown in. But the newer trees seem to be Black Birch and some Red Oak. Go figure!

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Luckily, I have not gotten PI real bad for a long time, but I get a mild case of it almost every year … seems the vines are on almost everything around here.

Red Oak thrives on Acidic Soil and out paced many other trees when we had the Acid Rain problem. Luckily, that has mostly been resolved (in the 70s, many lakes in the Adirondack Mtns were devoid of fish), but the foot hold the Red Oaks acquired is still evident.

Most (but not all) of the Ash Trees near me are dead or dying, but are doing better at my upstate property. However, even up there I think the watershed is removing lots of them. About 40% of my Upstate 50 acres is Ash, will be a big shame if they all disappear.

My property is mostly had Ash + Black Cherry, with some Beech, Hard Maple and Red Oak thrown in. But the newer trees seem to be Black Birch and some Red Oak. Go figure!

Sounds like there is going to be lots of clear cuts out on the east coast in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ash is only one of the tree species in the woods, so it won't be clear cut, but a lot of harvesting is already happening.

Over here cherry and birch doesn’t last more than 50 - 60 years max
There seems to be lots of diseases and pests around attacking trees

How is sudden oak death has it spread far and wide or small pockets
Does it affect all species of oaks

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of red oaks dying at a friend's house near Joelton. He said a huge like 4ft DBH right by the house one hasn't leafed out this year.

Burly stuff. Did you mill it or have it chunked into burl chunks?

We only mill Oak, Larch and Spruce. And even then we send it off to mill. We use it mainly to refurb the houses and buildings, or structure, or flooring etc. Everything else, including oak we can't or won't mill, goes in to our 5 fireplaces, or is sold.

168442505.6H5ahXag.jpg

158205211.Ly6qeZwK.barnrenovate_edited.jpg

167381888.7ktNZWRE.gt22.jpg

We use larch, which is mostly dimensionally stable similarly to Doug Fir, for structure and planks as well. Some spruce for cladding etc. This extension(a room and a covered patio) is nearly entirely of Larch, including two 1'x1'x12' columns with oak flooring. We also have 3 stables we made with larch and oak, and one rather large shed that also can hold two more horses(we have 8 or maybe 9, I forget. It changes):

167382079.1Rzym92T.gtc3.jpg

168077462.S82ks5yp.Dyna_Gurteen.jpg

167381875.w11LM7uS.gt09.jpg

167382078.L8MyC3DW.gtc2.jpg

This may look like a lovely piece of millable ash, but it's value as firewood is far higher, as heating your home in Ireland, which is something you want to do up to 9 months out of the year, isn't cheap. And ash will burn very hot. A cord of mixed firewood goes for €150 here, 100 unseasoned. Which means that red oak I posted earlier is worth thousands and thousands in firewood alone. And, quite frankly, folks here do not want to pay for milled timber. Most who use planks rather do it themselves, or their businesses evolved near a mill anyways. It's much more profitable in the UK to mill your own wood :

159841893.ysGM1SEr.241ash.jpg

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember correctly a good quality cord of wood around here goes for $240, $80 per face cord (or false rick)
I don't think I could get the prices for a full oak or Ash or beech cord to make it worth our while. I mix in all sorts of wood and add in about fifty percent ash or oak or beech. I tell people here exactly what they are getting. Their eyes usually glaze over though. So long as I say its hardwood, they're happy. There's two customers that will take unseasoned oak at 180 a cord. The castle will take seasoned oak and Ash in emergencies a couple times a year, and they'll pay handsomely, and like it. That's about it.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Took half of this big maple down for a guy yesterday. The pics dont do the size justice. I believe it's two trees and when I cut the trunk it will probably have included bark all the way down to the base.

The land owner cut the one half and by the looks of his cut hes lucky to be alive. He cut it at 7' off the ground, no face cut, and that half was a 32-36" diameter leader where he cut it. The section I cut landed to the right in the pic and was only about 24" at 7' off the ground. The main trunk is probably 48" diameter or at least 42" DBH.

I'm taking it for firewood but the section he cut is too nice of a log to chunk up so I'm going to do some chainsaw milling.

20190430_101634.jpg 20190430_095628.jpg

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Castles come in all shapes and sizes. Our local castle is now owned by Austrians since the family sold it off decades ago. The Austrians dump an ungodly amount of money into restoring it every day. Castles are very expensive. We maintain the Estate that surrounds it. Much more affordable. The castle itself is on about 30 acres or so. Our estate sprawls across the mountainside to the river, making the castle landlocked. We all get along mostly...

After seeing so many ruins basically living within scaffolding for years and years, I started telling the natives it must take a long time to make ruins. It's usually appreciated as the Irish and I share a rather sardonic humor.

Here's the Rock of Cashel under repair:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ireland lured me in with it's rustic nature and gorgeous scenery. I really do feel like I've stepped back in time. The pace is also a bit more to my liking now that I've put half a century behind me. Castles here are wide and varied since there were so many different rulers and invaders, from Normans, Vikings, Saxons, English, French, Irish etc. Many ruins date back to about the 9th century when Vikings started to arrived. Some are still the county or town seats to this day. We've thousands of castles, abbeys, priorys etc etc. Most are in ruin. My wife's family seat has been in ruins for centuries up in Meath:

165402500.w76YNwcI.jpg

Here's the Rock of Dunamasc in county Laois. Just views like this remind me how much I love this place.

150181629.DKfBriVy.jpg

150181624.yKdRNCf3.jpg
Beautiful landscape. I hope to make it there one day. My wife is Irish and we want to go trace some family roots. Her fathers side of the family is Noon.

Last edited:

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is sudden oak death has it spread far and wide or small pockets
Does it affect all species of oaks
if youre referring to oak wilt, its around by us anyway. national forest south of us is loaded with dead oak. as far as i understand, red oak family species are affected worst, white oak species dont seem to be troubled from what ive seen.