Trees you've cut

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You LOVE maintenance? Then chippers are right up your alley!
The 2 chippers we use are shared between 11 parks and just like anything stick shift multiple users destroy the drive system. Clutches are usually 1100.00 not installed.
Best thing I ever did was talk to the guys who built them and toured the factory at Carlton to see them being built and fixed.
Nothing is cheap on chippers so following the manufacturers guidelines are paramount to keeping them running.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The 2 chippers we use are shared between 11 parks and just like anything stick shift multiple users destroy the drive system. Clutches are usually 1100.00 not installed.
Best thing I ever did was talk to the guys who built them and toured the factory at Carlton to see them being built and fixed.
Nothing is cheap on chippers so following the manufacturers guidelines are paramount to keeping them running.

Sing it.

Especially the clutch part.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Fire > chipper

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG
To emphasize the rot

IMG_1076.JPG
Cleaning up the face. The 572 was too heavy to wield so I switched to the 562 w/ 20".

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

There's a main paved road a few hundred feet below this. I couldn't take any chances with cutting the stump downhill. Had to face it up and send it uphill with wedges, as well as a choker and rope. I had two sets of double stacks and a long/banana wedge for side lift on the far end.

This was an old-growth live oak a client hired me to cut a couple years back. I've commented a little on it here:
https://opeforum.com/threads/new-saw-462-vs-500i.26022/post-1436873

The longer story is the clients' daughter (who has swamped with us part time in the past) is clearing a site to build a house on their property. This tree, unfortunately, was in the way. There are a handful of other old-growth live oaks nearby, and this was the least healthy of them. I reluctantly agreed, knowing they would spent a fortune hiring someone else to do the work.

The first stem on the right hand side was simple enough. Step up into the crotch to face. Plenty of holding wood and room to bail out cutting the back from the ground.

The far left stem was also no issue to deal with, having a long bar on the saw.

The middle stem was the booger. I could not safely cut that stem the first day we were there doing other thinning/burning. It grew back uphill towards both a power pole on the N, and a main power line running down to town going S/Sw. The lean and limb weight was sure to send it onto the line, if not snapping the pole.

I advised the client to have PGE top the stem so it could be safely felled. After some reluctance over a couple inspections, they agreed it was a hazard and should have been tagged already. They were willing to top but not remove it.

I came back after and cut the stem, followed by the stump. Ovular shape, not truly round, at 5'x40" diameter, roughly. The the rot was intimidating, with that much weight separating at once, would the stump splinter?

I set a slightly angled face with the high side on the downhill. This would ensure some extra pull for clearance away from the line, as I'm trying to send the stem East away from its Northerly tendencies. I was conservative with my face, only going 33-40% in. I started and progressed the back cut, back-barring fully extended over my head, set a wedge in the back, uphill side, secured it, cut a little more. Knocked the wedge until she tipped over so I wasn't anywhere near it with an awkward anchor (the 572 w/ 32" bar.)

The client got a short video of it going over. I'll upload it if I can figure it out.

All being said and done, the top of the stem was still only ~20' from the powerlines, meaning with no uncertainty it would have hit the lines. I walked it out several times prior to the topping and was certain it would. The validation on that call was nice.

Fun times!

Last edited: