Trees you've cut

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see a lot of farmers and landowners felling trees that way over here. Seems to work okay for them but I wouldnt do it myself.

Throw a wedge against a back cut like that it sure isn’t lifting and you are more likely to have it go over backwards then a parallel back cut. Just because we see it doesn’t mean it’s right or safe, have I taken risks in my cutting career yes but I try to midi gate them as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sloping back cuts, generally speaking...

Depends on what you’re doing or what you’re telling to have the stem do. There’s a time and a place for a slope up to your face especially if you’re using a Saginaw face to allow the stem to slip off the stump backwards. Another that comes to mind is slipping a stem to one side or another for a different lead of the butt for better yarding or just a better lay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut this in half a couple months ago for my buddy to put it on his woodmizer the way he wanted. Wasn't planned, I had my 046 with 24" bar with me. Still surprises me it went that quick and I actually lined the cuts up.

View attachment 266753 View attachment 266752
That's a different way of doing it never seen that before you did well with tools at hand.
We used to rip the 1st cut then roll the billet over and do the 2nd rip cut.
1 (7).jpg 3 (3).jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How you liking that 500i so far?

Well, I'm transitioning from a ported 395... Lol

Its light as a feather, I went into this thing open minded and bar set low. Spikes are too damn small, and the first several tanks are impressive for the weight but when it decided to actually run I was sold.

A/V dont feel springy at all to me. But I'm only running 84 drivers. Overall I'm happy and its fun to run.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to spend the wet season splitting the oversize logs in half for the mill. 42" on a 395, logs on poles to keep them up off the dirt. Stand at one end and cut down through it then climb on top and cut my way to where I felt the bar would reach the rest with me standing on the ground. $2 linear ft, made decent money in the winter when logging was hopeless due to soggy ground. Done that for few years.

logger nate

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I'm transitioning from a ported 395... Lol

Its light as a feather, I went into this thing open minded and bar set low. Spikes are too damn small, and the first several tanks are impressive for the weight but when it decided to actually run I was sold.

A/V dont feel springy at all to me. But I'm only running 84 drivers. Overall I'm happy and its fun to run.
Thanks, sounds pretty impressive.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like ya lined up the cuts perfect! Soft maple?

Ummm sure? I'm horrible at identifying trees, I can point out all the ash trees on my property :);), I call that my vertical firewood storage system LOL, all my dead ash trees. I'm just in the "log mafia" around here for the firewood that it generates. Everyone brings something to the table, I bring saws and a 3/4 ton truck that can get beat up, and I get all the flitches and wood I want, and then some, thats the thing with the log mafia, once you're in, you're in and you HAVE to take the wood, wether you want it or not LOL

That's a different way of doing it never seen that before you did well with tools at hand.
We used to rip the 1st cut then roll the billet over and do the 2nd rip cut.

I stood on the bed of my truck and did the top half on both sides, then got down. There was a slightly dull full chisel chain on the saw, it did ok ripping, I ate half the chips, it was breezy LOL.