jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind about steel bottle jacks - they don't do very well with loads that flex a lot, like a tree rocking back and forth in the wind. That's one of the reasons
why Ray Silvey made his out of alloys - they handle load variance better. Also, without a gauge on a bottle jack, you'll have to be very careful about the kind of load you put
on it. Luckily, you can use the handle to help gauge the kind of pressures the jack is under - you can feel it "load up" and work accordingly.

An old friend of my dad's was a faller from the late 50's to the early 80's, and there were old-skool steel commercial tree jacks sold back in those days. He and a partner were using
a set on a sale down near Brookings. He said the wind came up and sat a big tree back on that steel jack and they got away from the stump - it blew up and he said it sounded
like a bomb going off.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On those two firs, what ton was the jack? I went back and forth on size, ended up going with the 28ton Figured carrying it weight wise might be handier than the 45-53 ton for the trees I deal with most in Michigan 20-36" with some larger once in a while. Guess Ill find the redline and wedge or pull on a few to see what it'll do...

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On those two firs, what ton was the jack? I went back and forth on size, ended up going with the 28ton Figured carrying it weight wise might be handier than the 45-53 ton for the trees I deal with most in Michigan 20-36" with some larger once in a while. Guess Ill find the redline and wedge or pull on a few to see what it'll do...
They were a 50 ton or so. Not the small rams. I have been surprised at what the smaller rams will do at times, however. I use the smaller self-contained tree jacks for large second-growth and trees that lean over a road or whatnot. Backpack jacks with hoses are more suited toward old-growth for me. It’s good to have some distance.
I like to have wedges in there for backup whenever possible.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They were a 50 ton or so. Not the small rams. I have been surprised at what the smaller rams will do at times, however. I use the smaller self-contained tree jacks for large second-growth and trees that lean over a road or whatnot. Backpack jacks with hoses are more suited toward old-growth for me. It’s good to have some distance.
I like to have wedges in there for backup whenever possible.

Are they the old Silvey tree savers or the little fellers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
e2d69b8cf1e8f9b57d81571e059ef203.jpg

Probably take them for a test drive next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You dirty dog! I’ll test them for ya!

I’ve got a few big ugly girls that only have one shot that really need to get put to bed to test drive them on. I do like how they made a few changes no more plastic wear plates and a few minor things like that.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the fanciest set of jacks I've ever seen...

Those Silvey sets were pretty always pretty fancy when sitting in Madsens and from memory these are cheaper then the Little Fellers were at the end.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like Marvin is coming through with some fire on those double rams!

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no logger, feller, or such. But I use alot of rams//pumps in my. Line of work. You could get an SPX, Enerpac, or several other pumps. Manual long lever type one way with a gauge and be backpackable if needed. This style would have enough of a resovoir to supply a 50 ton ram. As far as rams go aluminum with alloy piston. That way it can be carried a distance. Bottle jacks as mentioned can't take an off vertical load very well. They are also steel and heavy to carry. Above mentioned set up should be cheaper than a custom. Also be sure to use 10,000 Psi rated hose, quick couplers, and strain reliefs over the hose ends. With the hose being quick coupled to the pump and ram again easier to pack in.