Timberline Sharpener discount for OPEforum

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It leaves an amazing almost polished finish on the cutters. Much smother than what a file leaves.
Sure does! I tried to photograph it before but I didn't get great results. Shiny sharp! I was playin' around with more hook for a gtg chain (before I learned how to square file).
DSC09047.JPG DSC09045.JPG
@TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic one of the benefits w/ the Timberline is the fact that each and every one of my cutters are exactly the same length and exactly 30 degrees. Not implying that you don't have excellent results with a hand job (lol).
The reason I bought in was not that I didn't get sharp cutters when I hand filed, but I believe I was taking more material off one side. My cuts were not straight. After I bought one, this trend vanished.

Another tip @wildroamer , wear gloves! The cutters make very small shards of metal that like to find their way into your skin.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
3:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I agree that cutter works great, problem is that the people that bring in chains.....normally bring them in after cutting through concrete. haha So that's why I prefer doing it by hand. For my chains here at home, a tool like this would be nice cause I sharpen my chain right when I notice it starts getting dull.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still hand file in the field, like I have for 37 years. I can make a chain cut, but the cutters are never quite the same angle, close but not perfect. I will use the timberline after a few filings just to get the angles back to where they should be. It is amazing how far they can be out after a few hand filings. I also agree that a file leaves marks that this does not, weather or not it is sharper I don't really know.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think most of the post I've read from new owners have stated similar comments. I too thought I was proficient with the round file, and I was to a point. But this sharpener is very very precise and exploits any flaws in your geometry.

Another thing you will find is when you get back on the cutters, near the end of a chains life, you can barely get the jig low enough for proper hook. Which led me to buy more cutter sizes, and the reason the 13/64 is/was a better choice than 7/32.
DSC09390.JPG
Also, use a drop of lube on the cutter shaft. I just ordered replacement guides due to a small amount of slop, which makes me wish they were made out of something more durable than Al.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think most of the post I've read from new owners have stated similar comments. I too thought I was proficient with the round file, and I was to a point. But this sharpener is very very precise and exploits any flaws in your geometry.

Another thing you will find is when you get back on the cutters, near the end of a chains life, you can barely get the jig low enough for proper hook. Which led me to buy more cutter sizes, and the reason the 13/64 is/was a better choice than 7/32.
View attachment 17287
Also, use a drop of lube on the cutter shaft. I just ordered replacement guides due to a small amount of slop, which makes me wish they were made out of something more durable than Al.
I use a little drop of oil on the cutter bushings as well. On the flip side of this the oil works its way down to the cutter and causes all the metal shavings to stick to it and clog it up. It's not a big deal, but requires wiping the cutter off every couple of teeth.

Ozarker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about using one of the dry lubes, like Rock "N" Roll? Comes in a kit, enough to last several lifetimes. Used for bicycle chains, particularly mountain bikes, among others.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a can of this for my power auto antenna, I'll try it! Been using 3 in 1.
upload_2016-3-31_11-15-43.jpeg

Randy, they're a little over a hundred bucks w/ the discount.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's a well machined tool, not a cheap flimsy gimmick.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But... your cutters are not exactly the same length and exactly 30 degree angles. $100 ain't much these days. Sell 1 cord, flip one saw...

EDIT: And it won't buy a lot of double bevels ;)

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe, but I can buy a lot of files for $125
If your that confident in your hand filing skills I salute you sir. However for guys like myself that just can't get the handle on hand filing this is the perfect tool for us. Small enough to throw in the toolbox and use in the woods. Precise enough to sharpen at home and not pay somebody else $5-$10 a chain to grind. For me personally my chains have never been sharper, they are lasting longer because I'm removing less material per sharpening, and it's saving me money by not paying the saw shop to grind and true up my hand filed chains anymore.

But this is all my opinion and personal experience, others may have different views.

Last edited:

ncstihler

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This has been on my wishlist for some time now... I think I'll have to dedicate some funds for one in the very near future.

Jose A.S.T.S.

#DoingtheWork!!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your that confident in your hand filing skills I salute you sir. However for guys like myself that just can't get the handle on hand filing this is the perfect tool for us. Small enough to throw in the toolbox and use in the woods. Precise enough to sharpen at home and not pay somebody else $5-$10 a chain to grind. For me personally my chains have never been sharper, they are lasting longer because I'm removing less material per sharpening, and it's saving me money by not paying the saw shop to grind and true up my hand filed chains anymore.

But this is all my opinion and personal experience, others may have different views.

For you Magic_man that's spot on why pay a man when this device looks as though it does a very good job it's going to save you money over the long haul totally agree. For me I'm wicked good with a file most people aren't and the ones that are spent alot i mean lot of time filing that's me. That beings said I think this would be a good tool to add to the box even for me at some point.