wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
11:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Gang,

As I have been disgusted with my hand filing skills, I have become very interested in the Timberline Sharpener that a few of you here have mentioned. I did a little research on some different sites, and eventually contacted Phil at Timberline for some answers.

My first question had to do with the 2 cutters available for 3/8 chain. They offer a 7/32" cutter for standard 3/8" chain, and also a 13/64" that is for Stihl chains. Being a cheap (I mean thrifty) guy I wanted to know if I could get by with just one. The answer was that the 13/64" would be the way to go. In fact, as a standard 3/8" gets worn, it is optimal to switch to the 13/64" anyway.

My second question again had to do with my thriftiness. I mentioned that I had noticed Timberline had a presence on some other forum, I forget which one, and that a discount code had been offered to those members. I asked Phil if he had joined OPEforum yet, and suggested that he consider doing so, as this is where the cool kids are hanging out!

So, long story somewhat shorter, I got an email from him letting me know the following;

"We do not have a promo code set up for the OPEforum site. But for those chainsaw enthusiasts that would be interested in our Timberline Sharpener we created a discount code that can be used on our website https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/shop which you would need to enter in the referral box "OPEforum" which will give them $15 when purchasing our sharpener."

Anyway, there you have it. I am going to try one because, as I mentioned, I suck at hand filing. Hope this benefits some of you.

Cheers!

W

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool deal!
I can give ya some advice w/ the Timberline. Don't use it on a rocked chain or one with burrs. Use a hand file to smooth the cutter a little, and take small "bites". I learned the hard way when I got mine, pretty much killed a cutter in no time.
My schedule is to lightly hand file 2-3 times when needed, then true everything up with the jig on the next sharpening. I've had great success with it and continue to use it for most of my work chain. And yep, the 13/64 was a wise choice IMO.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, will do, thanks for the tip!
I also understand that it might be a good idea to leave the side screws loose for the first pass or two on a questionable chain.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't done it that way, if it's damaged, swipe it with a file. Always tight IME.

Granted... I kept going to get as much life outta this one as I possibly could.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i tried a rocked chain with the timberline and i was easy on the amount of cut and the force of turning the burr and still chipped the burr so i am with wolverine and avoid using it on a rocked chain

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes they are the same youd use in a die grinder

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just fixed a badly rocked chain with mine. Took about 4 passes but it can be done. Just have to remember that carbide is brittle,avoid binding and use light pressure. The Timberline can really make a beautiful chain.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you leave those side screws loose in such a situation?

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm also curious if most of you do all one side first, or do you just move from one cutter to the next?

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i like mine and will produce nice results i put my grinder on the shelf and it will most likely stay there unless i get a really bad chain

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've round filed all my life and I can make a sharp chain. This thing will make a seriously sharp chain and it will get all your cutters back into shape.