FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting the 261 is a wise decision.
I bought 2 251s for some of our smaller rangers ,with the easy start. We've had zero problems with them and everyone loves those saws for small jobs. Honestly my feeling is that if you take care of the equipment you don't need to know how complicated it's put together.
This from someone who loves 441s.

I figured it would be a good choice. The 026/261 is one of those gold standard saws like the Husky 346, Homie SXL, and Mac 10-10. It is going to need a muffler, that thing is LOUD. Don't know if that's from a muffler mod or the baffles are just rotted away, but I need to preserve what's left of my hearing. The muffler looks totally stock on the outside so I would suspect the latter.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting the 261 is a wise decision.
I bought 2 251s for some of our smaller rangers ,with the easy start. We've had zero problems with them and everyone loves those saws for small jobs. Honestly my feeling is that if you take care of the equipment you don't need to know how complicated it's put together.
This from someone who loves 441s.

Also, the Echo CS-400 and Husky 440 are awesome 40 cc saws. They will surprise you how capable they actually are. The CS-400 is as close to proline as a clamshell can get, even has an adjustable oiler.

johnp143

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the 042 and 048 ipls and a repair manual if anyone needs any information
Long story short, my 042AV has a leak in the case. My grandfather bought the saw new, handed down to my dad and then to me and my brother where we put it to work on an Alaskan saw mill. It ran great for a couple years then started have fuel issues which lead to what looked like a carb issue then impulse issue then I found the case problem.

I can literally insert a thin metal rule between the case halves in the front and feel the crank when I turn it.
In the picture I can see where the gasket end and the gap begins.

Fast forward to where I'm at today which is a full breakdown to replace the case gasket which brings me to your post regarding the repair manual and parts list. Could definitely use them since I'm going into unknown territory here.

Question one of many, how to get the clutch drive spline off the crank?

Attachments

• 042 Top.jpg
    042 Top.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 042 Clutch Drive.jpg
    042 Clutch Drive.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Case Gasket Highlight.jpg
    Case Gasket Highlight.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 14

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
12:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long story short, my 042AV has a leak in the case. My grandfather bought the saw new, handed down to my dad and then to me and my brother where we put it to work on an Alaskan saw mill. It ran great for a couple years then started have fuel issues which lead to what looked like a carb issue then impulse issue then I found the case problem.

I can literally insert a thin metal rule between the case halves in the front and feel the crank when I turn it.
In the picture I can see where the gasket end and the gap begins.

Fast forward to where I'm at today which is a full breakdown to replace the case gasket which brings me to your post regarding the repair manual and parts list. Could definitely use them since I'm going into unknown territory here.

Question one of many, how to get the clutch drive spline off the crank?
Probably was just loose screws on case causing the issue was pretty common to need to check them especially older saws with slotted screws. Crank bearings and seals is going to be tough haven’t made them in a long time and no aftermarket bearings available so hopefully the bearings are good. I can email or message you some ipl’s and the shop manuals or at least the parts you need

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably was just loose screws on case causing the issue was pretty common to need to check them especially older saws with slotted screws. Crank bearings and seals is going to be tough haven’t made them in a long time and no aftermarket bearings available so hopefully the bearings are good. I can email or message you some ipl’s and the shop manuals or at least the parts you need
I wouldn’t use it on a mill personally just because it’s so hard to get stuff for now and would consider it more of a shelf saw to run once and awhile since it’s nice shape and was your grandfathers. I’ll look and see but I may have the case gasket.

Last edited:

johnp143

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After discovering the case issue I checked the screws and they are all loose. They are slotted and never touched since new.
The crank seals may be ok, but would like to change them while in there.
This was a good working saw, but as pointed out, probably not the best idea to use a somewhat rare antique as a wide open sawmill.

johnp143

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes good work of a 2 foot board though.
Plenty to not like about this picture, but puts a smile on my face seeing that pile of sawdust.

Attachments

• 042 Sawmill wide open.jpg
    042 Sawmill wide open.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 14

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After discovering the case issue I checked the screws and they are all loose. They are slotted and never touched since new.
The crank seals may be ok, but would like to change them while in there.
This was a good working saw, but as pointed out, probably not the best idea to use a somewhat rare antique as a wide open sawmill.
Well the bearing is almost non existent and not sure on seals, may be able to get them from motion industries ect. They have huge lists of metric double lipped seals.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, the Echo CS-400 and Husky 440 are awesome 40 cc saws. They will surprise you how capable they actually are. The CS-400 is as close to proline as a clamshell can get, even has an adjustable oiler.
I do love my echo top handle, but the 440s feel too flimsy for me. Plenty of retired guys love them though.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a pro by any means so the 440 works great for me. Parts are cheap and easy to find too. I think Husky could have a real winner if they found a way to bump it up to 50 cc or so.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a pro by any means so the 440 works great for me. Parts are cheap and easy to find too. I think Husky could have a real winner if they found a way to bump it up to 50 cc or so.
I’m pretty sure the 440,445 and 450 are all the same just like the 345 was a smaller bore 350. I prefer the 3 series farm ranch saws over the 4 personally.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The crank seals may be ok,
You should be able to find em. The 4360 PTO side bearing will be tough to scrounge and won't be cheap if you actually run across one. If yours is marginal, (or if you can find a parts donor) you may be able to refurb it with a solvent soak / USC Mean Green / Oil combination treatment. I've done a few bearings using that process with surprising results -- including a 4360. All but one went back into service 100% better than they came out -- of running saws, no less. The flywheel side is just a 6202.

The rest of what you need will be out there somewhere if you're patient.

Great old saws. Freekin' tanks.

Last edited:

johnp143

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the parts list!!
Definitely going to need a few items.

Managed to get the clutch off this weekend and split the case.
True to form, the 042AV is an unusual one, not that I know much about it, just don't seem to find much when looking for specifics.

The clutch is a good example. This saw has a clutch with a single spring instead of 3 like every other saw. Also doesn't have a hex on it for a wrench. Modified the tool I made to remove the flywheel, also unusual with three tapped holes, to remove the clutch.

The drive side crank seal looks decent and doesn't look like it was leaking. Probably best to leave it be until it fails.

Thinking of replacing the case screws with socket head cap screws. Torque spec should be standard for those fasteners and far easier to torque than the stock slotted ones.

Attachments

• 042 Clutch Spring.jpg
    042 Clutch Spring.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 042 Clutch Pulled.jpg
    042 Clutch Pulled.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 5

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

True to form, the 042AV is an unusual one, not that I know much about it, just don't seem to find much when looking for specifics.

The clutch is a good example. This saw has a clutch with a single spring instead of 3 like every other saw. Also doesn't have a hex on it for a wrench. Modified the tool I made to remove the flywheel, also unusual with three tapped holes, to remove the clutch.

The drive side crank seal looks decent and doesn't look like it was leaking. Probably best to leave it be until it fails.

Thinking of replacing the case screws with socket head cap screws. Torque spec should be standard for those fasteners and far easier to torque than the stock slotted ones.
Yep that’s an older style with one continuous spring. They also had a weird disconnect style clutch on them. The brake flag would actually disconnect the engine from the clutch and chain. Saw would rev freely without turning the chain.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep that’s an older style with one continuous spring. They also had a weird disconnect style clutch on them. The brake flag would actually disconnect the engine from the clutch and chain. Saw would rev freely without turning the chain.
This is the old style clutch removal tool, came in 3 sizes if I remember right.

Attachments

• IMG_7673.png
    IMG_7673.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 5

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just buy t-27 scallop heads like Stihl uses now