Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi,
Last weekend I finished another PS-344 I bought defective a couple of months ago, originally intended
to be used to provide spares, but then I found a very good base with some parts damaged and some missing,
most of them available in my own stock.
Decided to build her up again, gave her a 3-arm clutch since she had none, an adjustable oil-pump
which was also missing and a replacement sprocket cover. Also needed a replacement cylindar
because the spark-plug thread was badly damaged. All of these parts I had in stock, though.

I intentionally did her plain run-off-the-mill to compare her to my ported PS-344 I presented here nearly a year ago (https://opeforum.com/threads/the-of...ar-chainsaws-thread.694/page-229#post-1001751)

View attachment 277148

In front the run-off-the-mill one, lets call her #3, the ported one in the back (which is my #2 of my PS-344s).

I did cut several cuts with both of them using a 30 cm bar and a next to new Oregon Multicut half-chisel chain. Wood was oak, dry inside and about 35-40 cm in diameter so the bars were engaged at full length.

#3 was doing well, that is, succeed to cut thru the dry oak but slowed down repeatedly and needed to be lifted a little to have
her gain speed again. Just what you would expect from a 33 cc saw which is not intended nor built to do cuts like this in wood like this.

Very different the ported #2: She simply cut thru the wood. Period. No loss of speed, no hesitating just cutting straight forward.

It's an impressive result that makes me think of what a guy who knows what he does could achieve by porting a saw.
My attempts have been amateurish at best but when the outcome is that striking, what would a professional have gained?

Some pics of the competition's loser :

View attachment 277154

View attachment 277153

View attachment 277152

These little saws are brilliant and your gains on the winner they also feel solid and strong if anything there more nimble than the ps-32 and ps-35

I wander how many have been ported most times they probably would have been overlooked

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wander how many have been ported most times they probably would have been overlooked

Probably not too many, but I heard of (semi-)professional porters being quite fond with that series because by
their design (solid block and separate cylinder) they offer a very good base for porting work.

Bodell0

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks @Wilhelm for the advice! The photos Eduardo K posted were also helpful in my decision. I may be in need of stickers.
That is so sexy right there! :babeando:

Do You want to swap over to Dolmar decals?
I got those, clutch cover "Dolmar" & starter assembly "PS-7900" or "PS-7910".
If no one else chimes in I can get You sorted. :)

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is so sexy right there! :babeando:

Do You want to swap over to Dolmar decals?
I got those, clutch cover "Dolmar" & starter assembly "PS-7900" or "PS-7910".
If no one else chimes in I can get You sorted. :)
The dealer I bought from is working on getting Dolmar labels but has not heard back yet. I’ll let you know.