POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just won this on Ebay. I know nothing about a poulan and probably paid way too muc . Thoughts?View attachment 230928
Yeah you paid too much IMO. Ida sold you a good running 306A for less than half that not including shipping. Just saying. Course you may want it for putting on a shelf rather than working. Still overpriced IMO

Svlmustang

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah you paid too much. Does the price include shipping? Ida sold you a good runner for less than half that not including shipping. Course mine are 306a’s. Just saying
I figured I paid too much. Ah well. No it didn't include shipping. Sa was *s-word that's why ya cant find many.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok fellas, got a couple of questions.
First, ive got a craftsman 2.3 Powersharp that sat in the weather for a good while. Water got to the flywheel side crank bearing and the crank. Ive cleaned it up with Scotchbrite, but theres still a pit. Cant catch it with a fingernail, but I can feel it with a pick.
I also have a 2.1 Powersharp. It had water in it too, but didnt get to the crank bearings. Piston actually looks almost new once I got it apart, but all the plating let go in the cylinder. Wondering if the cranks might be the same. Any ideas?
Also, ive heard the 2.3 was same as Poulan S25DA.
What about the 2.1?

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok fellas, got a couple of questions.
First, ive got a craftsman 2.3 Powersharp that sat in the weather for a good while. Water got to the flywheel side crank bearing and the crank. Ive cleaned it up with Scotchbrite, but theres still a pit. Cant catch it with a fingernail, but I can feel it with a pick.
I also have a 2.1 Powersharp. It had water in it too, but didnt get to the crank bearings. Piston actually looks almost new once I got it apart, but all the plating let go in the cylinder. Wondering if the cranks might be the same. Any ideas?
Also, ive heard the 2.3 was same as Poulan S25DA.
What about the 2.1?
If the 2.3 has a rubber counter vibe in the back of the handle it's the same as a S25CVA otherwise S25DA. From memory the 2.1 is a 25DA.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder if you could just swap piston and cylinder.

Steve on Tapatalk

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Possibly. As long as stroke is the same. Got a good rod too. Good thing those come off the crank. Got some options. I'll tear down the third one. It wasnt seized. Think it may have some piston wear. Its another 2.1.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats good news. If the stroke is the same, the cranks are probably the same. I'll take the calipers to em to make sure.
Hope y'all have been doing good Steve.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's pretty tough to find a 25DA IPL. There are 4 crankshafts for the S25 models

Two for the points saws and two for the solid state model depending whether they are S25DA or S25CVA saws

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I'll just measure to see if it'll work. As long as I know the stroke is the same between them, then its all down to measuring diameters and lengths. I can verify stroke also, once rough assembled. All three saws are older points models. Have the curved air filter covers with the cast stripes.
Its a shame that guy threw that saw out in the weather like that. All it probably needed was new fuel lines and a carb kit. Looked like it had the original black fuel line on it. Piston has very little wear. If water hadnt gotten to it, cylinder would have been great. Water got in and plating let go. Carb and filter cover were missing.
All three saws were sitting out back of a small shop near me. Been there long enough that the tarp he threw over them was completely gone and the pallets he sat them on were rotted to the ground.
On a good note, I rescued a Mcculloch 7-10A from the same pile that still had spark, and ran after I fixed a broken fuel line. Hoping I can save some of these. Gonna be a little more work.

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone in here have a decent poulan 5200 IPL they'd be willing to share with me? All the ones I've found online so far are pretty bad.

I gots one stripped down for a rebuild and full restoration and need to start hunting for some parts.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Steve! How you been?
Worked on the S25DA I gave to my son yesterday evening. Ethanol problems. Shrank Tygon fuel line in the tank, wouldnt seal where the line went through tank, and was starving for fuel.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been doing well as can be expected with this dang heat. New phone don't notify when someone post so sorry for the late comment. Hope you're staying in some what of a shade.
By now I expect you've got that saw singing a tune.
Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been doing well as can be expected with this dang heat. New phone don't notify when someone post so sorry for the late comment. Hope you're staying in some what of a shade.
By now I expect you've got that saw singing a tune.
Trying to stay in a cool spot.
Still having an issue with that lil bastid. Its lean. I'll have to pressure/vac test again, but I'm pretty sure its got some crud in the carb. Apparently there was some varnish that I didnt catch, and its working its way through.
Hope Y'all are doing good and staying safe.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May have to let it soak in some cleaner for awhile to help loosen it up. I've had to do that on a few but they eventually came clean.

We are doing well. None of us has gotten that mess. Wife got a bad case of poison ivy, took three weeks for her to get over that. They will have their first students Thursday so hopefully all goes well.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need some help with the carburetor settings on a Poulan Pro 5020. Saw will start and idle but dies when you open the throttle. I went through the carburetor and replaced the diaphragms, settings were L around 2-1/2 turns open, H 1-1/2 turns open. I tried setting them both at 1-1/2 but is seems very lean at idle and dies out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need some help with the carburetor settings on a Poulan Pro 5020. Saw will start and idle but dies when you open the throttle. I went through the carburetor and replaced the diaphragms, settings were L around 2-1/2 turns open, H 1-1/2 turns open. I tried setting them both at 1-1/2 but is seems very lean at idle and dies out.

Mark

I would say try the Low speed at 2-1/2 turns out like you found it and go from there.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know what year Poulan started putting chain brakes on the Wild Thing? I just got a 1998 one in for a carb cleaning and it doesn’t have a brake

Poulan has to have been the very last saw maker to put brakes on. I remember seeing a big display of them in a hardware store around that time and not a single one had a brake, including the large magnesium case ones. As I remember it was well into the 80's when they started putting flimsy plastic hand guards on.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Mark
Try 2 1/4 on high and low. Turn the idle up so the chain is moving. See what happens. Adjust- lean the high and richen the low while slowly backing off on the idle. That's worked for me on the Poulan clam shells. I refuse to work on those for friends and family anymore....