Bill G

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stove wood there, about like throwing some coal in.
I am spooked to burn it as I know it burns real hot. I have heard the horror stories of burning stoves up. I have a Central Boiler outdoor stove now and I do not want to burn it up. I grew up with a bowwood and you sure did not put hedge in it. When I moved back to this farm I put a Menards special in and was not chancing it either

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am spooked to burn it as I know it burns real hot. I have heard the horror stories of burning stoves up. I have a Central Boiler outdoor stove now and I do not want to burn it up. I grew up with a bowwood and you sure did not put hedge in it. When I moved back to this farm I put a Menards special in and was not chancing it either

I have a Century stove from Menards & have no issues burning Osage in it. My cousin has a Central boiler & feeds it a steady diet of Osage.

Air control ( leaks/poor dampeners) seems to be the biggest issue with over firing in wood stoves.

The biggest issue with Osage for me is the coals I get when pushing my stove in really cold temps. I have to throw in some box elder or pine to burn down the coals to make room so I can stuff if again.

Bill G

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Century stove from Menards & have no issues burning Osage in it. My cousin has a Central boiler & feeds it a steady diet of Osage.

Air control ( leaks/poor dampeners) seems to be the biggest issue with over firing in wood stoves.

The biggest issue with Osage for me is the coals I get when pushing my stove in really cold temps. I have to throw in some box elder or pine to burn down the coals to make room so I can stuff if again.
The beauty of Locust is it burns so hot all you have is fine ash

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How close is this “hedge/osage” to mulberry? Pictures look like mulberry to me? I’m in Delaware state (when I tell people Delaware farmer they always assume Ohio)

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How close is this “hedge/osage” to mulberry? Pictures look like mulberry to me? I’m in Delaware state (when I tell people Delaware farmer they always assume Ohio)
They are in the same family, mulberry isn’t as hard or rot resistant. Both are yellow wood heart wood & turn brown when exposed to air.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had something simple to eat and she waltzed down those shop steps.
She ate some bread I gave her, then jump up those steps back outside without using her wings at all (runner ducks rarely utilize their wings to get up or down of something).
Crazy bird!

IMG_20240326_144435.jpg IMG_20240326_144443.jpg IMG_20240326_144451.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had something simple to eat and she waltzed down those shop steps.
She ate some bread I gave her, then jump up those steps back outside without using her wings at all (runner ducks rarely utilize their wings to get up or down of something).
Crazy bird!

View attachment 413487 View attachment 413488 View attachment 413489
What do you do with these ducks wilhelm ? Eggs? I know you love those ducks. I think they’re pretty cool. I just never was a huge duck egg fan. They would be easy to sell around here though

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you do with these ducks wilhelm ? Eggs? I know you love those ducks. I think they’re pretty cool. I just never was a huge duck egg fan. They would be easy to sell around here though
Mostly pets, but yes we consume their eggs.
Not much different than chicken eggs really, just much more dense.