GoldMember
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone’s favorite day new tool day.
a7319f392ea427af2c9697a711bd9dff.jpg

And time for a good shop cleaning in the very near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the new tool?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a dumb question.
Once they cut down those huge trees, how did they move/manipulate/saw them?
Simple, they bucked them with crosscut saws, sometimes several shorter ones brazed together, then they skidded the chunks with a steam donkey. From the woods they were either brought to a river and floated down to a mill, loaded on rail cars and brought to a mill, or the mill was at the logging camp and they were turned into lumber and sent down the mountain by flume if possible. If the chunks were too big to be manipulated, they would drill a bunch of holes in them along their length, pack dynamite in them, and blast the log in half.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is Thunderbird still is business? They were a stout unit. Those big ninety footers they built were extra impressive. I always thought it was fun when I’d build road in and then leave a D7 specifically to leave something with some ass behind it in case there was a spin out coming up the hill.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is Thunderbird still is business? They were a stout unit. Those big ninety footers they built were extra impressive. I always thought it was fun when I’d build road in and then leave a D7 specifically to leave something with some ass behind it in case there was a spin out coming up the hill.

They got bought out by Madill and were killed off not long after.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simple, they bucked them with crosscut saws, sometimes several shorter ones brazed together, then they skidded the chunks with a steam donkey. From the woods they were either brought to a river and floated down to a mill, loaded on rail cars and brought to a mill, or the mill was at the logging camp and they were turned into lumber and sent down the mountain by flume if possible. If the chunks were too big to be manipulated, they would drill a bunch of holes in them along their length, pack dynamite in them, and blast the log in half.
I couldn't find the dynamiting pics, sorry. In no particular order, a steam donkey, a modified pair of crosscuts, a steam donkey crane, and a log train. They'd also use a dozen or so ox teams to haul logs out in lieu of a train.
5714532511_be6813d684_b.jpg
10915185_10152962588643555_1862217992856061726_n.jpg
clydeskidde-page-8-1.png
9722a2b817e37ed8ac8142279416cbf8.jpg

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They got bought out by Madill and were killed off not long after.

I never thought Madill’s units were built as well as Thunderbird, but I guess YMMV & stuff. It doesn’t look like Madill decided to take any design cues after the buyout either, which I think is just ignorant.

Oh well. Thankfully for the owners they’re pretty easy to rebuild and use a lot of “standard” easy to find, or easy to machine parts.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought Madill’s units were built as well as Thunderbird, but I guess YMMV & stuff. It doesn’t look like Madill decided to take any design cues after the buyout either, which I think is just ignorant.

Oh well. Thankfully for the owners they’re pretty easy to rebuild and use a lot of “standard” easy to find, or easy to machine parts.

I remember being a kid at the old Ross booth it was always amazing at the size of the equipment down at the OLC. Also remember around the same time crawling up in one of the old TJ/Timbco down bottom bunchers been a few years back but stuff like that always makes you smile.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t think it was too steep until the end

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t think it was too steep until the end

There's some benches in that unit you see, toward the middle, but the ground going down to the river is very steep. I was on the opposite side where Mill Creek meets the river
and it almost a straight drop in places there. Those upper hills are very steep as well, pretty much all along the river. Some of that is private that wasn't logged in the old days
because it was too steep.