Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
O they could down cliffs and there wood still be trees to cut somewhere

How long till that stuff is left for buffers or carbon credits? I’m not against hand cutting at all I love doing it when the time comes around but how much longer will the insurance allow us to do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long till that stuff is left for buffers or carbon credits? I’m not against hand cutting at all I love doing it when the time comes around but how much longer will the insurance allow us to do it?

Till they don't who knows, could be tomorrow or could be the next day or never :nusenuse::nusenuse:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

If that happens, there won’t be much logging here. I’m sure you’ve noticed we cut a lot of rocky and extreme ground. I love running equipment, but I love the independence of being a cutter, and the lifestyle we get.
I think tethering will be great in some spots and situations. Particularly with everybody struggling to find good help. But I know, and many loggers and administrators know, that hand cutters are and will be a very important and integral part of the harvest system for a long, long time.✌️

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that happens, there won’t be much logging here. I’m sure you’ve noticed we cut a lot of rocky and extreme ground. I love running equipment, but I love the independence of being a cutter, and the lifestyle we get.
I think tethering will be great in some spots and situations. Particularly with everybody struggling to find good help. But I know, and many loggers and administrators know, that hand cutters are and will be a very important and integral part of the harvest system for a long, long time.[emoji3577]

What would be interesting is to hear from some of guys down in the Kiwi states where their rules a little different with the tethered equipment. A few years ago we sat through a meeting where they were presenting they explained what they do with the equipment down there and what’s hand fell it was an interesting idea where both are split 50/50. Normally the guys with the saws are on the nice ground to cut fatigue which in my eyes is a good thing, have you guys seen last year number injuries? Have you guys seen where they’re starting to use the smart grapple carriages down there?

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What would be interesting is to hear from some of guys down in the Kiwi states where their rules a little different with the tethered equipment. A few years ago we sat through a meeting where they were presenting they explained what they do with the equipment down there and what’s hand fell it was an interesting idea where both are split 50/50. Normally the guys with the saws are on the nice ground to cut fatigue which in my eyes is a good thing, have you guys seen last year number injuries? Have you guys seen where they’re starting to use the smart grapple carriages down there?

That is an interesting idea. Interesting that they still see the value of a hand cutter.(I’m assuming that’s why they still keep hand cutters)
No, I haven’t seen the injury report. I do understand mechanical is generally safer. Nobody has forced us into being hand fallers. It is a labor of love, at least for me. We know the risks and hazards. It’s what we do. I love running equipment, I’ve actually toyed with the idea of getting a buncher for a few years, but I’ve always been worried about having consistent work for it.
There are several grapple carriages at work around here. Some have been working in hand-fell, some in wind-rowed, and I know that they have also been feeding the carriage with a shovel. They are using them in certain situations.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is an interesting idea. Interesting that they still see the value of a hand cutter.(I’m assuming that’s why they still keep hand cutters)
No, I haven’t seen the injury report. I do understand mechanical is generally safer. Nobody has forced us into being hand fallers. It is a labor of love, at least for me. We know the risks and hazards. It’s what we do. I love running equipment, I’ve actually toyed with the idea of getting a buncher for a few years, but I’ve always been worried about having consistent work for it.
There are several grapple carriages at work around here. Some have been working in hand-fell, some in wind-rowed, and I know that they have also been feeding the carriage with a shovel. They are using them in certain situations.

The way we understood it their union for the industry required it but they don’t have nearly as many as they did. We’ll have to wait to see what the future brings and what OHSA has to say about it with their track record looks like. Being up here where I am we know the two manufacturers and their own plus their operators the test the limits doing a lot of what you guys are doing. It’s been amazing how many guys use to cut up now they’re few and far between, one I met last year was driving from Buckley down to basically the Sunset Highway around Banks.

To the buncher and work there’s work for something like that especially if you find a niche vs just clear cutting in the production settings. A buddy is doing exactly what you were talking he hand cut for years now is off on his own with a yo-yo machine cutting and hand cutting a little bit of oversized in thinnings for grapple carriages in Northern Washington. What I’ve always wondered is why no one hasn’t done CTL get maybe the first log or so off say the export log so they’re a faster easier sort to deck vs tree length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Clearcut, On average how many trees would you fell per day on those hillsides?
There are a ton of variables and factors, but under these plantation conditions, we are in the 200-300 or so average. That’s a pretty rough number, but it can change a lot depending on a variety of factors. Overall, around 200 is what we are shooting for at least in tree-length falling.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Aren't you getting tired of all those little poles?
Oh, I don’t know. Not really, I guess. We just came from cutting some big trees. I put some pictures up of some of them. We just have two more days here, and then we have some ROW with some big trees. I don’t mind these tree-length jobs.