The forestry and logging pictures thread

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pictures like that make me sad because our country has so little old growth left.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pictures like that make me sad because our country has so little old growth left.

There's still some old growth around, but nationally we're down to around 2.5% of original untouched ancient forest cover. The big issue that's popped up in the last 20 years is fire suppression- 100 years of keeping fire out of the forest is contributing greatly to the spread and sustaining of disease in older growth/ancient forest land and catastrophic wild fire is becoming the norm due to overstocked forest conditions. Here's a good article about a potential restoration plan:

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...ct-pitched-to-save-forests-big-pines.html.csp

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah I've read a lot about it. most of the old growth is in Alaska owned by a holding corp for native Americans. There's been some issues with the re-forestation effort in the last 60 years, this is part of the issue. you can't have old trees with out planting and husbanding young ones.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0fb5e6063b4816f23f360511cda6389c.jpg
dd79be2b6ba094f90089ede6d3d5e11e.jpg
. Was on a job today trying to find a way to get the timber out so it wasn't such a hateful skid. Happened upon this old sawmill. Way old. Hell there were logs there laying under the roof of the building that were notched with an as axe. The actual mill was gone but there were lots of neat old stuff around it. I'll be cutting this job in the next couple of weeks and get some more pictures.