davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If swinging is fun try slipping them off the stump there’s a time and place for both they’re just tools in your belt.
I saw hotsaws do it once, haven't tried it. Short on trees that hinge here, I gotta go to @Woodslasher's to practice :-D

May I get your thoughts on my theory?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Narrow face with a kicker on the stump will get a little jumping forward, slipping sideways is definitely not something you’ll probably ever need same with slipping them back off the stump. A lot of these “tricks” are things used in the brush to save something out more then it normally would in the lay right out in front of the face.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably one of the better videos I can think of @jacob j. do you know of any others that fit the bill?
That's a good video of Cody's - he's got a lot of good videos showing different scenarios in real timber cutting. The pictures you've posted are
excellent examples of sizwheels and clean ways to get a swing going. I don't see too many vids on Youtube about variations on Facecuts and
drifting a tree from its' lean but it's a real skill that came about in the days of slow two and one-man saws. Those boys had to rely more on
skill because their machines were slow.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't load the video, but I like angled face cuts for swinging trees in a lot of situations.

Instead of coming in flush/even with the trunk, tilt the saw. The higher side is the side the tree will pull to. Depending on the amount of swing, timing, etc... the angle can be quite steep or not too far off from flush. Match the second cut with the first, also out of center to the trunk. Works with either style of face cut, and can have dutchmen placed as well for more effect.

I don't have any photos handy.

Not the same as swinging them, but you can spin them on the stump by nipping at your holding wood on either side of the face-side when appropriate.

Last edited:

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
1:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not me, by any chance. But talk about a leaner, and swinging!!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
been felling all weekend. No trees seemed appropriate for a swing until tonight. Small pine or fit leaning uphill towards the fence. I face it 90, left the face real tight on the uphill/ lean side and curved down and open to a pretty big sizzy. I had to wedge it to get it going and it stalled…too tight on the face. One kerf out real fast and she went…like over 100°, haha, more than the 90 I wanted. Got stuck in another little tree, no biggie. Fun stuff, but unpredictable as they say. Not too to hang out at the stump but maybe I should have nipped it off when it got where I wanted.

Another I had to squeeze between limbs of two other trees. Faced, back cut, wedged, and once it was committed, I cut it off the stump. It spun one way off the first tree and then the opposite off the second. Perfect. If I’d left it on the stump it would have gotten stuck in one or both.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s your slipping off the stump sideways42B0DC52-EF3A-46C2-9E69-5D71F76C764F.jpegthat was the only available good lay to the up hill side way a row of stumps and a trail andyou couldn’t thread this through any other way.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got home from slashing for two days at slashers. Probably 40-60 trees if including little ones. Tons of challenging fun trying to thread the dead down between the live. Got to do a partial spin rolling one off another but cutting one side of the hinge, and another I cut the hinge clear off and let it spin off the right tree and then off the left. Little ones were the most hassle. Easiest to miss the lay (I missed a few small ones but only one of any size, end of the day, getting dark, didn’t matter, just general direction) and the littles would get stuck easy too.

First successful sizzy was overly successful, swung a little tree over 100° to the lean.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got home from slashing for two days at slashers. Probably 40-60 trees if including little ones. Tons of challenging fun trying to thread the dead down between the live. Got to do a partial spin rolling one off another but cutting one side of the hinge, and another I cut the hinge clear off and let it spin off the right tree and then off the left. Little ones were the most hassle. Easiest to miss the lay (I missed a few small ones but only one of any size, end of the day, getting dark, didn’t matter, just general direction) and the littles would get stuck easy too.

First successful sizzy was overly successful, swung a little tree over 100° to the lean.

Small(er), straight trees, especially with an off-center center of gravity are the worst.

Gonna try to load your video.

Edit: In late 2021 I did a couple days out in Trinity for my lady's friends. Mostly firewood and cleanup from a contractor who did a pretty crappy job on a multi-acre, dense FLASH job. I thought it was all firewood, as the husband has been very sick the last few years.

He changed it up the last day and wanted me to fall some trees instead. A patch of six totally dead standing firs, 80-100' tall, all straight as arrows with no significant limb weight.

I took an early lunch to take extra time to size up the trees and planned where to put them.

60' away, 90* to the trees is a nice 3/4 ton truck that isn't running, a storage building, etc...so, some obstacles IF they went loose. Nice maples, alders, and oaks behind the group of trees that we didn't want smashed.

All the trunks were more sound than I had anticipated, which made life easier. 16-24" diameters.

I looked around the area at nearby stumps to see what may have been competing and verified the course of the sun (property is down in a hollow) to aid in my decision.

I cut the first one 90* downhill of where the others would go to avoid hitting their trash/recycling area. No sign of insect damage and straight, true grain.

Good signs.

Spent the rest of the afternoon putting the others on the ground and bucking into rounds for them. Everything went smooth because I took as many factors as possible into consideration.

Last edited:

BLACKOUT

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love Nick’s videos! He can swing things without any doubt! I wish trees in my area could do that.