davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
5:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2156 on the right is bent. @huskihl said they’re pretty tough to bend. Maybe just replace? Seems like trying to straighten on the saw might break the tank and off the saw would never get it to line up right.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a better flag too if someone has one.
IMG_6416.jpeg

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2156 on the right is bent. @huskihl said they’re pretty tough to bend. Maybe just replace? Seems like trying to straighten on the saw might break the tank and off the saw would never get it to line up right.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a better flag too if someone has one.
View attachment 416974
I had a 2165 with a bent handle. I was able to get it reasonably close to straight (off the saw). To be fair, I think it took me a couple trys to get it close enough.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a Stihl 056 and put several wraps of "Red/Green" tape on part of it put it in a pipe post (Took the cap off) and a few bars to cheat with it looks good as new. I tend to straighten many things in unconventional ways comes with the job in a repair shop and a strong armed weak minded customer or 3. look at your receiver on the pickup or your neighbors backhoe You get the Idea, Just ease into it and check frequently What do you have to loose except some skinned knuckles if ya booboo. Good Luck.
As said above a vise (And padding to minimize scuffing) and Pipe or whatever fits the need. Just avoid concentrating the bend into a KINK.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have straightened a couple using an end vise on my woodworkers bench and a lot of trial an error. A few were impossible. The angles are almost impossible to duplicate and match the originals. In addition to bend, you will also run into twist. Also, when the bar bends that much, the case is usually also in bad shape. And, when that happens, a new bar won't even fit right. Good luck!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…and on a Jonny, the bar is the gunning sight. Kind of important. Besides feeling weird.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i think a block of wood to screw that good bar onto make a line so you have the correct angle. the bolt the bent one on put it in vise and try to bend back to the line. i dont know if that would work. it seems to me that it would need to be fastened down as if it were attached to the saw so it bends back in the right places