Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It gets warm here in summer too, I just keep using them. No dramas.

I try to remember to loosen off the fuel caps on one particular brand of saws when I put them in the shed after work when it's hot, or they tend to vent through the carb & I get fuel everywhere. Other than that, nothing really.

What brand?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't treat my saws any different in the summer.
They are stored in a closed room which does tend to get very warm, but gradually throughout the day.

I have noticed that storing them fully fueled creates less vapor pressure within the fuel tank than storing them only partially fueled.

My saws are never stored "dry" and that seems to work for me quite well so far.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3 years later

What's best for any temperature storage: leave good gas in (TruFuel or better) to avoid dry rot, or empty it and run it dry?

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3 years later

What's best for any temperature storage: leave good gas in (True Fuel or better) to avoid dry rot, or empty it and run it dry?
Run dry imo.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3 years later

What's best for any temperature storage: leave good gas in (TruFuel or better) to avoid dry rot or empty it and run it dry?

I wanna say tru fuel, but run occasionally. Cacklefest :DThat’s what I’ve been doing. Now they live in AC too. Running dry, I’d worry about residue and dry rot.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
12:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3 years later

What's best for any temperature storage: leave good gas in (TruFuel or better) to avoid dry rot, or empty it and run it dry?
I'd say run it dry. But, I personally have seen OPE stored for months (possibly even a year plus) with E-10 mix in them that never suffered any side effects. My dad's 07? 372 gets pulled out 1-2 times a year, is stored with whatever's left in the tank, and it still has the original fuel lines/carb kit, fires up in a few pulls, and runs like a champ. On the flip side, I got my MS250 from a guy who swore fuel sat in it over the course of 1 winter and the carb kit/fuel line melted.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been keeping them full. I have however, started and or used each saw once throughout the warm months. 91 octane (ethonalfree) + opti2

I also keep the same mix in my ice auger. Always full, never started throughout the summer. That thing always starts second pull when needed in winter. I've had it 8 years w/ all original lines and they feel and look brand new.

Side note: bro-in-law dropped off his MS290 because it wouldn't start for him after taking it for a swim with him. Apparently it was too hot too. haha.
He had it the back of his jeep for a couple days before dropping it off, then I let it sit for a couple days in the cool garage (20 deg. less than ambient).
When i cracked the fuel cap, it was like a geyser of raw fuel pushing out. I'd say he had a little tank pressure built up. Vent was plugged with water and with 100 plus degree days, I'm surprised something didn't break (fuel line, cap, vent, vent line etc.)