Stihl MS461 4-Stroke Burble...

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So, to give you guys some background info...

Saw = MS 461, purchased in Nov 2019, Dual port muffler added prior to first start, carb limiters removed prior to first start. Running on 91 Octane E-free with Echo Powerblend at 40:1. Chain sharpened at every or every other tank fill-up. Filter cleaned at each fuel up.

Was running my newest MS461 over the weekend, noodling up some big rounds up. I ran 3 tanks of fuel through the saw with no issues. Filled up the 4th tank of fuel, blew the filter out, ran a file across the cutters, and fired her back up.

Put the bar into another round, made it about 1/2 way into the round, the saw screamed as RPMs gained rapidly. I assumed an air leak but only have about 20 or so tanks through the saw.

Shut her down immediately, stripped her down, moved piston to TDC and started the vacuum test. Pumped my Mity Vac up to 0.5bar (14.76 in/Hg) and moved on to sharpen another saw. Left it for around 15-20 minutes and the needle never moved. Bled it off and pressured the case up - hit 0.5bar (7.25psi) and left the saw for another 10 minutes or so, the pressure held just as the vacuum did. I fingered the intake boot around to see if I could expose a crack or tear while under pressure and vacuum. Nada. Rotated the flywheel by hand while under vacuum and pressure to see if a crank seal was bad at a certain spot. Nada.

So I don't think I'm sucking air, seals are good, gaskets are good, intake boot is good, impulse line is good, fuel line is good (as is filter pickup).

Put her back together and fired her up. Set the carburetor to base settings, H out 1 1/2 turns and L out 1 turn. Fired her up, dialed in the L and LA for solid throttle response, threw her back into the round to tune the H end, but had to back her out another 1/2 turn for a full 2 turns out on H to get her to burble coming out of the cut. And the burble still isn't consistent with no load. The saw runs strong, but when I lift to unload the chain, it will burble some but not every single time. Is 2 full turns out normal? Abnormal?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

The saw is new enough that I would assume the metering diaphragm and gasket are sound. I would also assume the pump diaphragm and gasket are sound. What else in the system could cause my condition? Trash in a carb needle valve?

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the coil...

It was swapped out with an new OEM unlimited coil before the first start.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like metering arm is too low, I would try to raise it .005 and go from there

On a new saw? Was running perfectly until a fuel up. I will verify metering arm height though.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep had to adjust many of metering arms on new powerheads as advised by husqvarna, echo, and stihl technical support personnel. They even paid .5 hr for warranty.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep had to adjust many of metering arms on new powerheads as advised by husqvarna, echo, and stihl technical support personnel. They even paid .5 hr for warranty.

Is that an issue on an out of the box saw or after 20 or so tanks?

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could have been right on the edge of being ok, then the saw started breaking in and changed amount of impulse pressure, among other causes like carb contamination, air temp and humitity

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda sounds some dirt or something is partly blocking off fuel flow on the H side. I’ve seen tiny bits of the Welch plug sealant come off before and get stuck in the H side needle seat and in the H side jet or even the transition ports.
It might be worth taking the carb apart and flushing everything out with some wd-40 even if you don’t put a kit in it.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take it back to the dealer. Why even sweat it?

You just bought new, right?

Check impulse line. I know you pressure tested, but I’ve seen them hold pressure and vac and then fail in wood when flexed.

Check the tank vent. It’s possible something went awry and it’s not venting correctly. TOTALLY can cause intermittent lean issue. I had an 036 where someone put the new style black duckbill pulled up inside through tank instead of installed outside. Went through 2 carbs, 3 fuel lines and around 5 vac checks till I figured the fućking thing out. Will certainly cause intermittent lean situation that will make you scratch your head. Will get worse under load or with continues cutting/heat.

Pull carb and examine both sides. See if anything obviously wrong with either.

That’s all I got, but if you bought it new you don’t want to be “it” if something fails. Better off the dealer than you.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer. Why even sweat it?

You just bought new, right?

Check impulse line. I know you pressure tested, but I’ve seen them hold pressure and vac and then fail in wood when flexed.

Check the tank vent. It’s possible something went awry and it’s not venting correctly. TOTALLY can cause intermittent lean issue. I had an 036 where someone put the new style black duckbill pulled up inside through tank instead of installed outside. Went through 2 carbs, 3 fuel lines and around 5 vac checks till I figured the fućking thing out. Will certainly cause intermittent lean situation that will make you scratch your head. Will get worse under load or with continues cutting/heat.

Pull carb and examine both sides. See if anything obviously wrong with either.

That’s all I got, but if you bought it new you don’t want to be “it” if something fails. Better off the dealer than you.

I don't disagree on letting the dealer figure it out. My delimma is that I swapped the coil out with an unlimited one, installed a dual port muffler from a 460, removed the carb limiter tabs, all of which voided the warranty. I will stop by there tomorrow on my day off and see what he says. Thanks!

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Kinda sounds some dirt or something is partly blocking off fuel flow on the H side. I’ve seen tiny bits of the Welch plug sealant come off before and get stuck in the H side needle seat and in the H side jet or even the transition ports.
It might be worth taking the carb apart and flushing everything out with some wd-40 even if you don’t put a kit in it.

If the dealer tells me I voided the warranty tomorrow, I will check the things you and Al mentioned. Thanks!