STIHL MS 400

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are missing the point Mason. The saw will pull it, but if 90% of your wood is under 20" and you also have to do a lot of limbing (they often just use one saw all day) a 24" bar just tends to get in the way. Even in my log pile, I don't want a longer bar because it will just cut the next log too much. Sometimes I think I should just put an 18" on it, and I've had 460s come in to me with 18" bars on them.

A saw is generally a lot more nimble with a shorter bar.
To each there own Mike

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you sure a ported 60 cc saw burns less than a non ported 70 cc saw???

I posted pics a few years ago of all the rounds I could cut with a tank of fuel in my 044, it was a good amount!

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am totally in agreement with your comments. 262s are real good saws, but at over 13 lbs they are very heavy for a 60 cc saw, and the 10mm 044 and new 462 are so light it makes choosing one of them over most 60 cc saws a no brainer.

When I'm standing on top of a pile of logs that are covered with saw dust and I have to stop the saw to move a few rounds and then re start it, I want a light, powerful saw with a decomp button, and I'm lovin my new 462 w/20" light bar for that purpose. My MOFO 360 is also a great choice for this situation as it has the power of a 70 cc saw but is under 13 lbs. and has a decomp. Doc Al does a great job on these things.

And yes, when you are in your 60s, these things are noticed a lot more than when you were in your 20s!!!

Just a few years ago, in my 40's, I could bring a 288XP or 385xp out with me in the woods with a 32 inch bar. Nowadays the 288 stays close to a tractor or the wood pile.
Stihl is smart to bring out a 462 the way it is and then do the Husky 365 vs 372 thing for the MS400 VS the 462. Keep them a buck fifty or two apart and the marketing takes care of itself.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ain’t no scales out in the woods sir, I go by feel.

That's the thing about scales is it takes the subjectivity out of the equation. Someone recently here said there was maybe nearly two pounds of difference between two certain powerheads. On the scales, the difference was a few ounces.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's the thing about scales is it takes the subjectivity out of the equation. Someone recently here said there was maybe nearly two pounds of difference between two certain powerheads. On the scales, the difference was a few ounces.

I always thought the cutting part was the was the easiest part of the job.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, basically, designed after other Stihl saws. Which makes sense, of course.

I am curious about the magnesium piston, tho. I am not exactly sure how important that really is on a work saw. It's already 67cc's on a chassis that they claim is only .2kgs more than a 59cc 362. I think that displacement on the same chassis is the important part.
The magnesium piston sounds like marketing to me
I was told lighter piston for quicker revving and also for serviceability. If you roach a 400 it kills the piston but not the jug. So when you straight gas a saw it just kills the piston and no top end.