Stihl MS 251 modification

scottywadd

New OPE Member
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own an MS251 and although I hate to admit it this little is , for me extremely hard to start . The reason for this that I just don't have enough strength anymore. To me this saw is way harder to start than normal. The saw is new and it's not a case something mechanical , out of tune ,or poor fuel that is at fault . The rope is too hard to pull.
I own other saws , a Stihl ms 075 , a stihl 011 , a husky 288xp and I have no trouble starting them. I was thinking about machining the head for a compression release .
There is even a plug of some sort already already on the top of the barrel about an 1"-11/2" from the spark plug . Does anyone have thoughts on this ?
Thanks for any ideas !!

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found this.
  • Master Control Lever™​

The Master Control Lever™ is an easy to use single lever, operating the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch. The operator must pull the throttle trigger before moving the Master Control Lever™ to the choke position.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No solution, I just wanted to let you know I had a MS-250 that was hard to start too. The other thing it had a tendency to flood if left in the sun and shut off hot. Which in GA can happen in the summer in 90-100 degree weather and you put the saw down and shut it off to move branches. I decided I needed a CB-E instead. Yes, it was harder to start then my Husky 385.