Stihl fuel tank grommet sizes

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have the fuel tank size grommets for Stihl saws that will allow you to eliminate the OEM style Stihl fuel line and use bulk line? I realize the hole OD is different on some saws. I believe Stihl part# 000 989 0516 will fit the larger hole of the 044/046, etc. I have tried a few grommets and they don't hold up well to the fuel.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Most of the older trimmers use tank grommets with bulk line. Seems most they get is about 5 years without fuel starting to seep a little. Heck even some brand new lines and grommets I have used have seeped some fuel. Any particular reason you want to run bulk over a formed?

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easier to stock bulk line for repairs. Plus some of the Stihl lines are short and a heck of a time to get the fuel filters on inside the tank unless you pinch the carb end hose so it doesn't fall in when u push it through to have length to get filter on.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easier to stock bulk line for repairs. Plus some of the Stihl lines are short and a heck of a time to get the fuel filters on inside the tank unless you pinch the carb end hose so it doesn't fall in when u push it through to have length to get filter on.
028 comes to mind here

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EXACTLY. Last one that got me thinking this. I use 038 lines they are longer. You have to trim the supply end.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try using the old grommet from the old line, enlarge the fuel line hole then put in the saw tank, lube the line up and pull it through. New fuel line from bulk.
I use this method on older saw that have tough lines to get and someone wants their saw yesterday.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Epoxy or JB weld a plate over the opening and drill a hole to fit the fuel line.

I've also used the old fuel line grommets. You cut the hose off each side and then use a high speed drill bit to drill it out large enough to fit the fuel line nice and snug.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used the old fuel line and drilled it in the past. It is also another solution.