High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 044 Oiler Mod

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have been using Stihl winter bar oil just to combat these lack of oil problems. Helpful yes but at $12 gallon not very easy on the wallet.
Wally World is still $8 + STP $3. Found nothing better yet.
Whats benefit of the winter blend?is it because its thinner? Heck here in fl i wish oil was thicker.after my saws are warm the oil is as thin as water.i wish oil was thicker here and i use stihl oil too.i used to use an oil called loggers pride and loved it.cant get it round these parts anymore.im gonna try amsoil bar oil next.i can get it for bout price stihl oil cost.
Same as above minus STP.
I've noticed on a few of my own saws how marginal the oilers worked, particularly after working on husky 390's and 394's. These 2 models, as well as a 395, oil very well. Oil will actually run down a 36" bar on a 394 if you run it out of the wood for very long. So I got looking into it. As much $ as we spend on bars and chains, a bit more oil couldn't hurt to help protect my investment, especially when the oil tank is still half full when I run out of fuel. Everyone talks about turning the oiler up to the max regardless of bar length. Now I can actually turn it down while running a 20, or turn it up to run a longer bar.
I need the saws to wet a milling bar now. Longer and hotter.
I picked up a 36" GB bar and chain in .063 from the dirty hippie. Everything else is .050. I like the .063 option in longer bars in case I want to run .404 chain. I picked up a .404 tip and some rivets to try it but haven't yet.
Did you ever switch to the 404 and try it?
63 oils way better on long bars. I've run 32" 063 on stock 044s.
Good to know. Have a 12mm needs done.
Next time it goes on sale, Raismen bar & chain oil is perfect for winter oil, i do mix STP oil treatment in with it during the summer though. Its like 20w oil, even though it says that it’s 30w
About the same weight and smell as the Wally World 30 B&C oil.
Fixig to try this on an 066 tonight...hope it'll finally move some oil.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Did you get to run that 066 with the plunger ramp mod? What bar length and gauge?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Same as above minus STP.

Did you get to run that 066 with the plunger ramp mod? What bar length and gauge?

I thought STP thickened the oil?
And I fixed the problem by ditching the Farmboss.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I thought STP thickened the oil?
And I fixed the problem by ditching the Farmboss.
That it does at lower temps. The tackifier is what you need. Other goodies in there too. Only skip it in hot summer when you need thin or extra oil. Seems odd but it works out that way for me.

Temps dropped tonight, one oil pump is double the stroke or more and the mill is hungry. I'm going to run just oil in the first few tanks and see how much the saw puts out with no additives. Still need to do a mod on the 046 oil pump.
Do they sell any parts to up the 044 pump?
I dont like Stihl bar oil Wayne. That winter blend is a mess.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Same as above minus STP.

It had a 32 dripping with oil.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Send all your Stihl bar oil to me Kenny. I like it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I hate that stringy messy crap but, it works good.
Wally world went to blue jugs and 9.60 a gallon. STP just past tree bucks :- (

How much is Tractor Supply a gallon? Heard they have good burl earl

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never found the super tech bar oil to need any additives. It is on thinner side but works fine. Using the 30 weight one. The tractor supply is on the thick side. Have to warm the saw up a little more before cutting in winter then it works fine. The echo bar oil is my favorite so far. Not too thick or thin.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I never found the super tech bar oil to need any additives. It is on thinner side but works fine. Using the 30 weight one. The tractor supply is on the thick side. Have to warm the saw up a little more before cutting then it works fine. The echo bar oil is my favorite so far. Not too thick or thin.
Never tried it but I will, thanks.
Is it anything like Redmax?
How much does it run a gallon?

Edit: gotcha Mike

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never tried it but I will, thanks.
Is it anything like Redmax?
How much does it run a gallon?

Edit: gotcha Mike
If you buy 4 or more here it’s 9.59$ a gallon. I like the echo powerblend 2 stroke oil too.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you buy 4 or more here it’s 9.59$ a gallon. I like the echo powerblend 2 stroke oil too.
Echo pb is good oil. I have run it. Same as Redmax to me.
Went to the new wally world STec syn mixed with regular new blend air cool dino oil from Stec. 35-1 in the mill. Works great burns clean and not much smell. Blends well in pump 91. Very happy with it. WW just started selling VP with stabilizer and eth treatment in tiny bottles. Good stuff. Going to try it with fuel sometime. Grabbed a little bottle and they still have one case left.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone had luck opening an 046/MS460 oil pump up? I cannot get the brass bushing out of the back to get the pump plunger out. Tips or suggestions?
Maybe try a screw extractor and pull it out

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone had luck opening an 046/MS460 oil pump up? I cannot get the brass bushing out of the back to get the pump plunger out. Tips or suggestions?

If you talking about the roll-pin (I thought it was spring steel) what I did was drill a few holes in a bit of 4” x 2”, A. so it sits level ish and B. There is a a hole to knock the pin into a bit, and C, you can fix it place with 2 screws so it don’t jump around . Then find a small dia, nail or a punch to knock it through a bit, if your finding it a bit hard to centre on the roll pin then use a sharp screw to just knock it down a little so then it is easier to locate the size and hole and the roll pin with the nail. Once pin is protruding out the other side enough, I got some pliers on it and wiggled it some more who.e pulling.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you talking about the roll-pin (I thought it was spring steel) what I did was drill a few holes in a bit of 4” x 2”, A. so it sits level ish and B. There is a a hole to knock the pin into a bit, and C, you can fix it place with 2 screws so it don’t jump around . Then find a small dia, nail or a punch to knock it through a bit, if your finding it a bit hard to centre on the roll pin then use a sharp screw to just knock it down a little so then it is easier to locate the size and hole and the roll pin with the nail. Once pin is protruding out the other side enough, I got some pliers on it and wiggled it some more who.e pulling.
I have a pin punch and the roll pin is no issue holding the control bolt. On a 046/460 pump the plunger has a brass bushing pressed into the aluminum housing. Getting that bushing out has proved a bit tricky.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realise that this is a older thread but I just needed to say that I've modified two ms440 and three 660 oil pumps and I'm really amazed at how much more oil comes out after the mods very cool. And I'm going to thank Mastermind and huskihl for sharing.:beer-toast1:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realise that this is a older thread but I just needed to say that I've modified two ms440 and three 660 oil pumps and I'm really amazed at how much more oil comes out after the mods very cool. And I'm going to thank Mastermind and huskihl for sharing.:beer-toast1:
It works. Just pay attention to your oil tank. Its possible to drain it before you run out of fuel