Stihl 044 advice

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best running saw will be the one with the best numbers at the best squish you can get without machine work.

The 10mm saws have a lighter and weaker crank/rod. There's a reason Stihl changed the pin size, it wasn't to waste money as a corporation. The 10mm have a cult following because they did run better than the 12mm from the factory. Was it EPA rules? I'm not sure. I haven't heard of many failures though.

The 12mm saws have wider ports and the piston has wider skirts. Putting a 10mm piston in a 12mm jug can/may freeport or catch a ring. The 10mm Meteor piston has the same skirt widths as the 12mm Meteor and oem piston, but the pin bosses are too far apart-this allows for side to side movement of the pin bearing. Freaks some guys out, but I haven't heard of a failure. I believe a meteor 10mm slug will allow any jug to be used on a 10mm crank.

Personally, I'd sell the 10mm slant fin jug to someone because it's worth more. I'd pic the decomp jug because I'm getting older and I like a decomp now. I have a feeling in a few years, I'll like the decomp even more.

One of the best running 044/440 I have ever done was a straight fin decomp jug with no porting at all. I took .010 from the chamber and then cut the base for an .020 squish with base gasket. Added a flywheel side deflector and advanced the timing by .025 of the key. I didn't time the jug but I sure wish I had.

You can get someone here to do that machine work for very little cash and do the muffler and advance yourself.

I believe cylinder condition plays a larger part in performance once all the cylinders have seen a lot of hours= wear. I have early slant fin cylinders with thousands of hours on them and I can tell you a new straight fin cylinder with new piston and rings will produce more power than those old cylinders even if they have a new piston and rings put in them. The rings have a more difficult time sealing in to a worn bore and just don`t make the same power they did when the cylinder was new, this is just from personal observation building and running many dozens of these 044 saws. My 044`s with new OEM slant fins are a bit more peppy than the used stock straight fin one I keep for comparison but it doesn`t take much work to make a straight fin to match it.

GeorgiaVOL

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sure it will put a smile on my face no matter what. It will be fun just to compare all my big saws once I get them all running.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
3:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
my 044 10mm has this stamped on top of the jug
KS
115/11
can anyone decipher it?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My strongest runner is a 10 mm 044 KS jug with 3 +++. With a gasket delete, squish is .020. Also did .020 timing advance, dp muff and HD 2 filter. It has embarrassed several 046/460s and some 066/660s.

I also really like my 440 with the same mods, not quite as fast but a nice solid saw, good torque, and it has compression relief, which as Al says, I appreciate more the older I get!

I don't use C/R to start them cold, but after it is warm, and especially if I'm in an awkward position, I use it and really appreciate having it. Makes re starting the saw real easy so you can climb into those difficult positions without carrying it running.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best running saw will be the one with the best numbers at the best squish you can get without machine work.

The 10mm saws have a lighter and weaker crank/rod. There's a reason Stihl changed the pin size, it wasn't to waste money as a corporation. The 10mm have a cult following because they did run better than the 12mm from the factory. Was it EPA rules? I'm not sure. I haven't heard of many failures though.

The 12mm saws have wider ports and the piston has wider skirts. Putting a 10mm piston in a 12mm jug can/may freeport or catch a ring. The 10mm Meteor piston has the same skirt widths as the 12mm Meteor and oem piston, but the pin bosses are too far apart-this allows for side to side movement of the pin bearing. Freaks some guys out, but I haven't heard of a failure. I believe a meteor 10mm slug will allow any jug to be used on a 10mm crank.

Personally, I'd sell the 10mm slant fin jug to someone because it's worth more. I'd pic the decomp jug because I'm getting older and I like a decomp now. I have a feeling in a few years, I'll like the decomp even more.

One of the best running 044/440 I have ever done was a straight fin decomp jug with no porting at all. I took .010 from the chamber and then cut the base for an .020 squish with base gasket. Added a flywheel side deflector and advanced the timing by .025 of the key. I didn't time the jug but I sure wish I had.

You can get someone here to do that machine work for very little cash and do the muffler and advance yourself.
What is this flywheel side deflector you speak of?