Stihl 038 ignition / chip / flywheel

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
10:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys. hope everyone is enjoying this here nice new forum. Seems to have less BS than the others out there. So I thought id post up my question here.

I have a good old 038 super. I just put a new piston in it, new crank seals both sides. It starts up and runs good for a few minutes then will just cut out. i did notice it has a chip on the ignition coil. Could these possibly wear out over time? I noticed with a quick search on the Ebay for an ignition coil for an 038 that maybe an 044 coil would work as well? If i try this ( i have a few 044 coils ) would the 038 flywheel work ? It gets me wondering with the chip currently on the 038 that it needs an upgraded / newer flywheel ?

Is this true? What have some of you had experience with? The saw passes vac/pressure check. I will look at the carb, but do not think this is the issue...after a few minutes of running it, it immediately cuts out and shuts off and wont start again until cooled down. Leads me to think something with the ignition coil / chip.

Thanks.

Nick

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not an expert. I think the black square thing is a RF noise suppressor. I hate to admit this, but I have several times now... I replaced a perfectly good coil on a saw that had a cracked spark plug. Exact symptoms you are having. I was checking for spark right after the "shut down" when I found the problem.

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not an expert. I think the black square thing is a RF noise suppressor. I hate to admit this, but I have several times now... I replaced a perfectly good coil on a saw that had a cracked spark plug. Exact symptoms you are having. I was checking for spark right after the "shut down" when I found the problem.
Well this is something I should definitely check! Never even thought of that situation. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to old Stihls .That series of saws listed 4 or 5 solid state coils ,5 or 6 flywheels plus a complete points ignition system .What I think you might have is a Bosc ignition which uses a seperate trigger mechanism .

If so the coil is 1117-400-1305 and the trigger is 118-404-1004 if I read the numbers correctly. FWIW the later models all used SEM ignitions probably the most common you'll find .

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As best as I can tell, it is like the 028. The replacement coil is the 0000-400-1300, which is on the 044, 029, ms290 and many others. Pop on one of your 044 coils and see how it runs.

DSS

widebody
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Some of them did have the two piece ignition with the little black box. The one piece coils are the same on a bunch of different saws, from 026 to 044.

I dont know if you have to change the flywheel to go to one piece or not, and i don't have an IPL handy.