High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 034 Bearing bore in case not round, leaking.....

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is the same 034 from another thread last week. When I received it, it had several air leaks, including one between the PTO side bearing and the case, at the 7-9 o'clock position.

I rebuilt the entire saw, new everything, this is my buddies dads saw, and he's had it forever, he wanted THIS saw.

When I put the bearings in, I put anaerobic sealant on the bearing O.D.s, seemed like a good idea. Once it was assembled it fired right up and tuned fine, I made several cuts with it, shut 'er down and went to their place.

We fired it up at their wood pile an hour later and it was all out of whack, acting like it had an air leak again, so I brought it home again. Checked over everything, and finally decided to do a pressure/vac test, and it failed miserably (it passed when I assembled it).

It is leaking at the same spot in the bearing bore on the PTO side. Is this a common failure? It's like the bore is egg shaped. This saw has had a long, rough life so I get it, but dang......

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
11:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not common. I have a case if you need.

Loctite makes a specific bearing bedding compound you may wanna try. I forget the # on it.

Those cases are a dime a dozen though, no one wants front adjust.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
11:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loctite 640 sleeve retainer might work if the case isn't too wallered out. After two failures though I'd probably go the new case route.

Edit: I have used 609 on Dolmar 5100s.

Last edited: