Stihl 026 in need of work.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As you in the uk, (I didn’t notice the other day)

i normally use either diyspares or lsengineers as well as eBay for oem parts. although I do use a bit of a mix of oem & am parts. Which is not what everyone here does.

I believe both you can browse the ipl they have but lsengineers you have to make an account (free) and log in to see it.
You could still compare the prices against eBay etc.

https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/machine/ms260/
https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/stihl-ms260-chainsaw-spare-parts.html

edit: it seems like diyspares don’t have the ipl anymore, & that is probably due to stihl's ongoing battle in stopping the manuals & ipl being put up for everyone to have, I think it’s different if you just share/send, or have an account etc

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update watched a video I believe the drive is ok the Circlip,stays attached to,the drive I have removed it see it’s left hand thread. It stays put.
So rebuilt all cleaned out the oil tank found sludge in tank and filter end blocked hope that’s the only fault so far. Cleaned out to replenish with new oil tomorrow and start up. See how it goes.

i guess you see I was replying when you posted this ;)

Bigtee

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i guess you see I was replying when you posted this ;)
Thanks for taking the. Time to reply my needs :)

Well it didn’t go too well on inspection the pump and worm is not having it so mew parts ordered including both oil pipes, Stihl wanted a small mortgage for parts nearly £70 just for the pump as it comes in separate parts.
Next week I’ll have a go at fitting all. The pump won’t turn by hand or screwdriver the worm is worn.

it’s all good fun this once I get it oiling it’s on to servicing and cleaning the engine parts. Thanks again all.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd have looked for a 2nd pump from eBay..
Here’s 1 But it’s the only 0em and I guess it’s a bit hit or miss, there’s plenty of Am oilers…but they can take a month to arrive unless there in the uk.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114646617574?hash=item1ab1788de6:g:rWcAAOSwrB5gC~kw&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoO0lKErjo/aVTsfzgq2YqstM1sNMQjYO8D/8/2EO8UhWTJut1A4SZTbk+hcIvMEoi+F5AcRbf6CCSzjDVwjA9mCHAoIeq3Cdn7F6nGSvycC4wYCcVhbv7uBJMDHGp0X6wu2p4BJYiU00fjkm6gAGX+//8aTd7Wu6cU/ww1q85AKgOnuqUPcCnyB5J5p87yL0gSD/mFfvWQP/I9lOIaJk9Sg=|tkp:Bk9SR7zq3vOQYQ

however. It’s your keenness and your money.. I’m here just to try and help a bit ;)

a quick edit.. I just reread your post, and you can get a whole new pump for £45 plus’s vat and postage
Part number 1121-640-3203 from lsengineers

if your unsure do ask here, , I maybe down south, but I’m usually here most days. Apart from the last 3 (I was very sporadic) as I was a bit I’ll with something … bird flu , China pox or just common fever and a banging headache with a cough
A good way to give up beer and food & lose some weight

Last edited:

Bigtee

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Update oil pump fitted had to adjust oil pressure as wasn’t quite oiling but is now.

Next job strip and clean washed covers & scraping off grime wash what I can.
In doing so I came across a serial number I think it is can anyone shed some light what it means or is it just a number? I know other plant tells a year of manufacturing etc.

Tried to upload a video of engine speed yet it won’t allow via iPad any tips for that?
Service kit ordered via e bay.

I’m getting there when time off allows .
Thanks all.

Attachments

• B1053F10-D463-4FB1-A63B-75D7E2BB5985.jpeg
    B1053F10-D463-4FB1-A63B-75D7E2BB5985.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 9

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
260 Pro made in Germany. Videos need to be YouTube’d to post here

Bigtee

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A 260 pro wow it gets better it’s value just gone up lol.
May have a handle from a 026 that’s what the sticker says.
Thanks for the information.
Spent the afternoon cleaning it and looks far better.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not certain I am following you correctly.

There should not be a C clip on there. The E clip holds the washer on the end of the crank for the chain drive rim sprocket, or just the entire clutch drum on if you have a spur drive drum.

The worm gear on that should ride on a sleeve. The crank should have a washer on it, followed by a sleeve that the worm gear slips over. The non-Pro do not have those parts, they have a plastic or metal oiler and a stainless steel worm gear that is crank driven-no washer or sleeve.

There is no way to adjust oil pressure, just oil volume. The metal pumps are able to be disassembled and cleaned. Many times they are just gunked up inside and can’t rotate freely. A soak in acetone will usually clean them. Just don’t let them sit in any type of purple cleaner. The caustic cleaner with eat away at it. I believe the pumps are cast Magnesium.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will add. As much as the ipl makes things simple…. For most peeps… it’s not stupid to ask questions about it o_O we all need a walkthrough (games included, as well as chainsaws)
And I will say there are a few peeps that get it wrong when disassembling or reassembling..

i for one missed a crank case bolt and bashed it apart :rolleyes: then found the screw that I missed :BangHead:

anyhow please ask, even if it sou;da kinda dumb..

Btw that big washer underneath the clutch…top means outside or top as you look at it… it’s really to stop the springs chewing the oil pump if they let go :eek:

So hopefully you all get the idea :zpong::campeon:

Bigtee

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m not certain I am following you correctly.

There should not be a C clip on there. The E clip holds the washer on the end of the crank for the chain drive rim sprocket, or just the entire clutch drum on if you have a spur drive drum.

The worm gear on that should ride on a sleeve. The crank should have a washer on it, followed by a sleeve that the worm gear slips over. The non-Pro do not have those parts, they have a plastic or metal oiler and a stainless steel worm gear that is crank driven-no washer or sleeve.

There is no way to adjust oil pressure, just oil volume. The metal pumps are able to be disassembled and cleaned. Many times they are just gunked up inside and can’t rotate freely. A soak in acetone will usually clean them. Just don’t let them sit in any type of purple cleaner. The caustic cleaner with eat away at it. I believe the pumps are cast Magnesium.
My mistake it’s a E clip not a C clip.
Anyhow saw is running just needing a service parts now and getting a good clean. May even paint it look much better.

Bigtee

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After a good clean & the service kit fitted new oil she runs & cuts. Adjusted the carb idle the chain stopped spinning at Idle. Splutters a little but my fuel is old 5 yrs so to replace the petrol & oil mix.
Cleaned all the grime out of the bar and wire brushed the chain re fitted lubed chain.

May paint the bar not sure yet or just use as is.

I’d like to thank all of you that took the time to post & help me I’ve learned a few new things and enjoyed it.

Attachments

• 7438FA4B-7B58-40F6-8C8C-1F8C149FDAD5.jpeg
    7438FA4B-7B58-40F6-8C8C-1F8C149FDAD5.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 8

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Battle scars on the bar is all the rage.;)

Btw
Whatever the paint on the bar from the factory (I think it’s powder coated). , your be very good if you can compete with it.:cool: