Stihl 026 carburetor

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
12:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll admit one of my real weak points when working on saws is doing actual carb repairs not just a cleaning and kit ect. Have a Stihl 026 pro with the compensating port full adjustment carb. Saw was good after I rebuilt it and gave back to the tree service and has been in use a couple months now but the other day it got left in back of the chip truck and buried under a whole truckload of chips. Well they found out it was there when they dumped the truck it started and ran like crap so they brought it to me again. I got saw started but I’m able to shut the low jet all the way off and the saw still runs so it’s not really tunable. The carb was fine when I tuned before after rebuild and he said ran good up till it got buried and dumped out of truck. Any ideas or just buy a new carb?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a buddy who swears the main jet jas a check valve in it on 026. He claims they go bad constantly and are sometimes bad new from Walbro. The saws flood and run terribly or not at all.

He knows a lot and has worked on many 026/260, but sometimes he convinces himself of things.

It would make sense that the carb is syphoning fuel if you can’t lean it enough to die.

He puts in a new carb if he thinks the jet is gone.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
1:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure the metering plate isn’t jammed full of shít making the diaphragm stay up and the needle leak.

It’s probably something simple. Also, take a look at the well known problematic choke flap. Make sure it’s opening all the way.

I bet it’s repairable.

A bad nozzle check valve allows the wet side to pull air in at idle from the main nozzle and not make the metering diaphragm rise. Will lean saw out at idle, not fatten it up.

Post pics and report back.