StiHl 011 bar

docsimon520

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A69D9A6C-2E30-4C7E-8369-E729C5324617.jpegB4493E4A-BC8A-4D64-8F01-AC86523AD8A4.jpeg
So I got some 201TC from a tree company and I’m kicking myself for not buying all of them but the two that I got cleaned up real nice but I don’t remember if one of them was wearing this bar or if the last 200 tea I bought came with it in the box, but somewhere along the way one of those T-handle arborist saws came with this bar. well I couldn’t figure out how this was getting oil and it does look overheated so I did some research on the bar’s model number which is readable. It looks like it’s a stock bar for a 011 StiHl. could someone explain how they oil?

It is way too hard to drill; I don’t have any other 16” bars and so I figured I’d drill some oiling holes and… nope. Glass hard.

I’m too much of a noob to be able to post in the buy/sell forum but I have absolutely zero use for this since all my small saws use a different oiling scheme. Unless StiHl just forgot to drill the holes. If somebody’s willing to pay shipping I’m happy to send it to you.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a trick to drilling bars . On just a one sided hole find a piece of scrap metal to put in the slot to prevent break out .Then if you have access to solid carbide drill bits that would help .If not use high speed steel in a drill press .Don't play with it
,use plenty of down pressuse and peck drill it .To just play with it the steel is only going to get harder plus you'll trash the bit .Use something like "cool tool "or at least oil .

docsimon520

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Mr. Smith. I had not given any thought to reinforcing the “up” side of the bar; I probably wouldn’t have bent it since my drill press isn’t super powerful but it would have busted through
And maybe chipped an expensive bit. I had all sorts of ideas thinking I had to spot anneal the bar in that area.

So thank you I think I will get something off eBay to try to punch through.

Much better to peck drill it as you say. I got on eBay and the chinesium drill bits can be got in small quantities and single sizes. I mean, I can probably throw $10 at it to try to drill it out with some (cough) carbide drills from eBay.

I checked my dremel stash to see if I had a small enough carbide burr but nah.

docsimon520

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they oil through the top adjuster hole. The clutch cover seals it off and the oil is then pumped into the rail from beneath.
That makes sense. It’s the only other hole in that end of the bar and I figured it must oil through that.