Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just saw this today, next time you are here be sure to check out Martian and Jones Hardware. Right beside railroad tracks, they have been in
business for over 100 years. All post and beam construction. View attachment 376455View attachment 376456

Love that place! Got me a shirt too. Marlinton is a nice town I visit usually once a year when I'm out that way. We like to eat at the restaurant on the river and feed the ducks.

Did you see the mural on the side of the building by the river that has elk river shay 19 on it? That's pretty cool.

16831634760468246337445156557643.jpg

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought that I posted and update on the NS 8130 but looking here I guess that I didn't.

We disconnected all of the wiring and piping and cut the cab free from the frame. I used the 200 tin crane to fly it up through the shop and set it on a trailer to be taken to our weld shop for repair.

20230504_141636.jpg

The back wall of the cabinet that you see still attached to the cab is the CA1 area (electrical cabinet). All of the electrical components are junk because when the unit ended up in the swamp so the they can't be reused. We had to disconnect the wiring for all the components. The bundle was to big to manually lift out so we had to use the crane to take it out.
20230504_141708.jpg

20230504_141650.jpg
The cabless frame.
20230410_063218.jpg

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought that I posted and update on the NS 8130 but looking here I guess that I didn't.

We disconnected all of the wiring and piping and cut the cab free from the frame. I used the 200 tin crane to fly it up through the shop and set it on a trailer to be taken to our weld shop for repair.

View attachment 377730

The back wall of the cabinet that you see still attached to the cab is the CA1 area (electrical cabinet). All of the electrical components are junk because when the unit ended up in the swamp so the they can't be reused. We had to disconnect the wiring for all the components. The bundle was to big to manually lift out so we had to use the crane to take it out.
View attachment 377736

View attachment 377737
The cabless frame.
View attachment 377738
What a job that must take days and days of work

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watched the end part of a railway on The TV yesterday it was about the Train climbing
Up mount Washington I caught it when
The train was going up Jacobs ladder
What a gradient and what a climb

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watched the end part of a railway on The TV yesterday it was about the Train climbing
Up mount Washington I caught it when
The train was going up Jacobs ladder
What a gradient and what a climb
Me and my wife went up there for vacation a few years back. We took the stean engine up to the top of Mount Washington. The view was absolutely stunning! We went the last week in July. It was 80⁰ at the bottom wgen we got on and I think it was around 55⁰ at the top. It's a 3hr trip. 1hr to go up they give you an hour to walk around then an hour trip back down. I highly suggest It's well worth it.

If you go get the seats on the left side of the car ( 3 seat section) that's the side that follows the edge of the mountain. If yoon the 2 seater side you'll spend most of your time standing up and trying to look out the left side!

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me and my wife went up there for vacation a few years back. We took the stean engine up to the top of Mount Washington. The view was absolutely stunning! We went the last week in July. It was 80⁰ at the bottom wgen we got on and I think it was around 55⁰ at the top. It's a 3hr trip. 1hr to go up they give you an hour to walk around then an hour trip back down. I highly suggest It's well worth it.

If you go get the seats on the left side of the car ( 3 seat section) that's the side that follows the edge of the mountain. If yoon the 2 seater side you'll spend most of your time standing up and trying to look out the left side!

That sounds fantastic beautiful scenery

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My kid had a cross country meet in a park near my old high school. They had an old Baldwin loco and some cabooses set up.

IMG_20230829_185204656.jpg

IMG_20230829_185228574.jpg

IMG_20230829_185253651.jpg

The caboose must have been in use somewhat recently, it still has packing in the journal boxes.

IMG_20230829_185125063.jpg

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone ever makes it to central PA go the the East Broad Top Railroad. It's definitely cool and alot of history. They have the original steam engines and they do excursions. It is a narrow gauge track.
A guy from my shop that was laid off found work there. He just walked in as they were starting a restoration of a locomotive. He said it was interesting, very hard and dirty work. He said they had no kind of equipment to do any heavy lifting. It all had to be done manually or with a chain fall or block and tackle! Talk about old school!

He said just as he finished it uo and took it on the first test run he got called back to work at Norfolk Southern and left the East Broad Top Railroad. He said they didn't want to see him go but they understood.

Also the former CEO of Norfolk Southern Wick Morman has put alot of money into the East Broad Topand can be seen there quite often.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone ever makes it to central PA go the the East Broad Top Railroad. It's definitely cool and alot of history. They have the original steam engines and they do excursions. It is a narrow gauge track.
A guy from my shop that was laid off found work there. He just walked in as they were starting a restoration of a locomotive. He said it was interesting, very hard and dirty work. He said they had no kind of equipment to do any heavy lifting. It all had to be done manually or with a chain fall or block and tackle! Talk about old school!

He said just as he finished it uo and took it on the first test run he got called back to work at Norfolk Southern and left the East Broad Top Railroad. He said they didn't want to see him go but they understood.

Also the former CEO of Norfolk Southern Wick Morman has put alot of money into the East Broad Topand can be seen there quite often.

I've been meaning to get on the EBT Joe. I'll be around the area in a few weeks but I don't think I'll be anywhere that far north to where I can make it a day trip. 😕

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, from looking at a few different railroad history sites, the Baldwin was built in 1925 and burned oil rather than coal. It never worked for a class one, being built for the Choctaw & Caddo Railroad of Arkansas and passing through the hands of several other small lines. It was last worked on a tourist line in Georgia in 1993. The park is called Riney-B, nickname the of central Kentucky shortline Richmond, Nicholasville, Irvine, and Beattyville which once passed through this area. A still very active NS line parallels the park, unfortunately the trees are too thick to see much.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been meaning to get on the EBT Joe. I'll be around the area in a few weeks but I don't think I'll be anywhere that far north to where I can make it a day trip. 😕
Well if you do make it up to this area Steve give me a call my number didn't change and maybe me you, Scotty and Johnny Redfin could grab a bite to eat.