Square VS Round

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No just the oregon stones. Where do ya get the ez lap diamond stones? Not much selection in my area.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. What sized wheel did you buy? When I try to use the thick wheel on low pro chain, it's tight between cutter and raker on new chain, and it's difficult to get the side of the wheel against the cutter edge without eating into the gullet more than I'd like.
http://www.diamondwheelinc.com/chain-saw-wheels.html
I have the 3/16 wheel for the 511, part number CS575.3878E

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you for that. It has inspired me to put the 3/16 wheel back on and try a few things, especially to check if I can get a flat as opposed to curved hook on the cutter edge without eating too far down the strap/body, especially when the cutter gets short and close to the strap/body. But i guess at that stage will have the clearance to rakers to lay the head of the grinder over on a greater tilt if need to increase the hook on the cutter edge.

Will have a crack at it this weekend. Probably Sunday. Got an early start Saturday; about 8hrs driving to go collect my sawmill from the good fellows that helped fix it for me.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who uses what, and why?

What do you use? File, grinder?
Sachs-Dolmar 105 & 108 - Dolmar (Oregon) 092 chains, 3/8" Low Profile, .050", 14" 52DL, round tooth round filed, safety/low kickback chain.
That chain came with the saw and I never thought of changing it. These loops are being filed only, mostly free hand.
I have a Oregon PowerSharp kit for these saws wanting to see what the fuss is all about.
I also recently purchased a carbide tipped loop (Stihl Duro3 I think) out of curiosity and because I am nuts.
I am eager to try out both the PowerSharp and Duro3 chains as they are sitting in their boxes waiting for some decent wood to cut.

Dolmar PS-6400 & PS-7900 - Dolmar (Oregon) 099 chains, 3/8", .058", 20" 72DL, chisel tooth round filed. I also have two Carlton A2LM loops (chisel), but they haven't tasted any wood yet.
Again, these Dolmar 099 chain came with the saws and I think they actually cut great - so, again I never thought of switching to something else!
These loops get round filed, mostly free hand, sometimes with a simple file guide to even the teeth lengths and angles. I do have a cheapo grinder, but I don't like it much so it gets used extremely rarely (I am thinking of selling the grinder).
For these saws I too purchased a carbide tipped loop of Stihl Duro3 just for the fun of it, and again I have no wood to cut to give it a try.
Yes, I am somewhat coo-coo! crazy.gif

All that said, I am wanting to source a chisel or at least semi chisel loop in 3/8" LowProfile to try on my 40cc's, and also some semi chisel loops to try on my 64 & 79 cc.

Additionally I am becoming curious regarding how a "FULL HOUSE" loop would behave on a/my PS-7900 combined with a "short" 20" bar!
That makes for at least three more chain types to look for! bonkers.gif