High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Square VS Round

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
12:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just by virtue of using sq. doesnt mean its faster than round. It's always about how good one is with a file.
A well filed sq. is just mere seconds faster than a good filed round.
It takes me 90 seconds to touch up a wood dull round, but 20 minutes to do a half assed job on sq., so its round for me.

Thats me too John. Takes me 20mins to change a round to square too.
Plus I dont know what I am doing square filing.

Gypo Logger

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thats me too John. Takes me 20mins to change a round to square too.
Plus I dont know what I am doing square filing.
Agreed. When I sq. Kevin you could swear I was learning to play the violin.
Filing seems mostly about consistancy of angles and cleaning out the chip channel, ie, no gullet.
I'd like to learn more about goofy filing though.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If hand filing, I can do square just as fast as round, and all things being equal it will cut 10-15% faster and last just as long. Going to semi chisel feels like slow motion! (yet another 10-15% slower).

So, 20-30% difference between semi chisel & square, when both are done right. That is a big difference!

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Howdy all. Just don't see enough clean, soft wood with thin, easy bark to be much more than round-ground semi-chisel here, or it won't last, at least not in my dirt-kissing simpleton's hands. The main soft wood encountered is Radiata (Monterey up there I think) Pine, but the bark is often very thick and dirty.

Have been experimenting quite a bit lately with my Oregon grinder. Latest idea is using the thin wheel on every pitch chain (mainly 3/8 and 3/8LP). Reason being I'm hoping to not have to keep changing wheels, and if I can confirm the thin wheel can be made to work OK, then if ever I can afford a diamond wheel, it will be just the one wheel needed. Have been trying to find the worst-case wood to test in and so far, that's dry red gum (E.saligna). On 3/8 chain the transition of sideplate to gullet is quite a tight curve when using the thin wheel and my first attempts were not smooth. But if i limit the raker angle to about 6 degrees and profile the wheel to be more like half-parabolic, it's actually quite a smooth chain and perfectly acceptable.

Has anyone else tried this, especially on .404 please? I think .404 may be the undoing of my 1-wheel policy.

What happens when ordering a diamond/ABN/CBN wheel? Can they put any edge profile on or does it have to be semi-circular and/or symmetrical? I understand if it is asymmetrical then the wheel can't be turned over but it seems like on these wheels the wear isn't much at all.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPE sir.

I've never used the diamond wheels....maybe someone will be along that can provide an answer soon.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If hand filing, I can do square just as fast as round, and all things being equal it will cut 10-15% faster and last just as long. Going to semi chisel feels like slow motion! (yet another 10-15% slower).

So, 20-30% difference between semi chisel & square, when both are done right. That is a big difference!
But while you're refiling your square chain for 20 minutes i'll still be throwing chips for another hour with my semi chisel chain.[emoji1]

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But while you're refiling your square chain for 20 minutes i'll still be throwing chips for another hour with my semi chisel chain.[emoji1]
I got a dozen tanks on my ported 066 with the same square filed chain ................ I only pulled it off because I counted to 12 and felt guilty for still running it.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy all. Just don't see enough clean, soft wood with thin, easy bark to be much more than round-ground semi-chisel here, or it won't last, at least not in my dirt-kissing simpleton's hands. The main soft wood encountered is Radiata (Monterey up there I think) Pine, but the bark is often very thick and dirty.

Have been experimenting quite a bit lately with my Oregon grinder. Latest idea is using the thin wheel on every pitch chain (mainly 3/8 and 3/8LP). Reason being I'm hoping to not have to keep changing wheels, and if I can confirm the thin wheel can be made to work OK, then if ever I can afford a diamond wheel, it will be just the one wheel needed. Have been trying to find the worst-case wood to test in and so far, that's dry red gum (E.saligna). On 3/8 chain the transition of sideplate to gullet is quite a tight curve when using the thin wheel and my first attempts were not smooth. But if i limit the raker angle to about 6 degrees and profile the wheel to be more like half-parabolic, it's actually quite a smooth chain and perfectly acceptable.

Has anyone else tried this, especially on .404 please? I think .404 may be the undoing of my 1-wheel policy.

What happens when ordering a diamond/ABN/CBN wheel? Can they put any edge profile on or does it have to be semi-circular and/or symmetrical? I understand if it is asymmetrical then the wheel can't be turned over but it seems like on these wheels the wear isn't much at all.
You can get a custom diamond wheel, they will make you one to any specification you give them, but its going to cost extra
Their off the shelf CBN and diamond wheels will work for years without any worries

Diamond wheels are for carbide chain
ABN or CBN are for steel chain

You could use just a thin wheel, but you would need to hand file the gullets down, and your chain wont cut as good with the thin wheel with .404 due to the smaller radius of the side cutter with the thin wheel

I purchased my wheel for full size .375 but use it for LoPro and .404

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'll resharpen my square in 5 min while you are still cutting the wood I have cut with square!

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can get a custom diamond wheel, they will make you one to any specification you give them, but its going to cost extra
Their off the shelf CBN and diamond wheels will work for years without any worries

Diamond wheels are for carbide chain
ABN or CBN are for steel chain

You could use just a thin wheel, but you would need to hand file the gullets down, and your chain wont cut as good with the thin wheel with .404 due to the smaller radius of the side cutter with the thin wheel

I purchased my wheel for full size .375 but use it for LoPro and .404

Thank you. What sized wheel did you buy? When I try to use the thick wheel on low pro chain, it's tight between cutter and raker on new chain, and it's difficult to get the side of the wheel against the cutter edge without eating into the gullet more than I'd like.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. What sized wheel did you buy? When I try to use the thick wheel on low pro chain, it's tight between cutter and raker on new chain, and it's difficult to get the side of the wheel against the cutter edge without eating into the gullet more than I'd like.
My pleasure Sir !
I'll check tomorrow, but I just ordered off their website for a regular.375.

Whrn I sharpen lopro for the first time, I just kiss the inside top of the raker for a second, and get a great cutter

You cant go too low on a gullet, they should be as low as the tie strap

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks again. I'll have a crack on some older LP chain but I'm pretty sure the 3/16" wheel edge can't get deep enough.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I round file my chains at home. and in the woods i use a cordless dremmle with a oregon round stone to get up and going quick. I do have a cheapy chain grinder i use once in a while.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks again. I'll have a crack on some older LP chain but I'm pretty sure the 3/16" wheel edge can't get deep enough.

Lemme see if I can get a quick video
Here is my 3/8 CBN wheel shsrpening a low pro cutter. The line just inside the CBN material is the witness mark from the back of the raker slightly rubbing the wheel as a new cutter is sharpened. It does a very good job on LoPro, regular.375 and .404

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is my 3/8 CBN wheel shsrpening a low pro cutter. The line just inside the CBN material is the witness mark from the back of the raker slightly rubbing the wheel as a new cutter is sharpened. It does a very good job on LoPro, regular.375 and .404

No pic?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I round file my chains at home. and in the woods i use a cordless dremmle with a oregon round stone to get up and going quick. I do have a cheapy chain grinder i use once in a while.

Have you tried the EZ Lap diamond stones??? I love em in the 12 V (when I do round).