High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Square to round

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like as someone earlier mentioned this is another Ford vs Chevy question. No doubt.

A few of days of research and taking everyones advice into perspective Ive learned theres more to chains than I first realized. Its going to take me some time to learn round files before I get off into square.

To me filing by hand was easier on round chains and I got decent results. Just time consuming when you have a couple to do. Learning angles with expensive chain is frustrating. But I can imagine its like riding a bike and will seem easy eventually. Anyway, stay safe, carry on.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here is a video of a legend filing a square chain. There is a point in the video where he explains that semi chisel isn’t won’t stay sharper longer, but will cut better when dull.

Square chisel chain will stay sharper longer because of the support in the corner and the less work cutting it does. I’ve cut with square and round and when both are properly sharpened and used appropriately. The square chisel will outlast the round chisel every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perhaps it is more of a mfg chain différance than the actual rnd vs sq. ( the auto analogy again). I do a lot of cutting with both, minimum 3 cord a year and that is not your nice 8"- 12" telephone pole logs. So that particular note is mute as far as I am concerned. On my customers 7ft +bar unit that is slicing through a pallet of dimensional lumber per cut. The round outlasts the sq. same mfg of both styles. Brand new chains. For my self with new chain the round cuts longer than the sq. Your mileage may vary. Frankly I am not about to hand file a 200+ drive link sq chain or a round for that matter. I see a lot more damage on the sq than I do on the round- The mix of sq vs rnd is about equal coming through the shop. I have around 75 chains here to do at present. I can tell you that I wear out the cams and plates of vises on the grinders about every 6 months. I have worn out Oregon grinder motors- and that is no mean feat. each to his own.

Last edited:

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like as someone earlier mentioned this is another Ford vs Chevy question. No doubt.

A few of days of research and taking everyones advice into perspective Ive learned theres more to chains than I first realized. Its going to take me some time to learn round files before I get off into square.

To me filing by hand was easier on round chains and I got decent results. Just time consuming when you have a couple to do. Learning angles with expensive chain is frustrating. But I can imagine its like riding a bike and will seem easy eventually. Anyway, stay safe, carry on.
the key to sharpening any chain even round is consistency
i file round chain but use a grinder on square

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old story . Brian F ,in Florida AKA Rocky J Squirrel tried some square which drove him nuts .So he tried filing it round .Stihl chain hard as twice hammered hell ,that's hard .He spun me up a couple of 72 driver loops of 3/8" .It cuts faster and I can file it buts it is a pain in the back sides to do . Most of the stuff I do is hard as a rock dead stuff so it's not for me .