High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Square to round

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Howdy yall. I got this here square ground chain with a saw a few years ago and didn’t realize until today what it is. My question is can I ground this to a round profile? Is it the same chain as its round counterpart?

4818ee1f878dd6744066f0cd084dc807.jpg

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy yall. I got this here square ground chain with a saw a few years ago and didn’t realize until today what it is. My question is can I ground this to a round profile? Is it the same chain as its round counterpart?

I got some of that to.

Now I can do something with it.

[emoji108]

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can grind it round but it’s blasphemy. Square is a high performance chain for lack of a better term. Round ground chisel chain has slower speed and less durability then square. If I were you I would get a square file and follow the angles to teach yourself how to file it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square cut a little faster in the cut -yes, but does not stay sharp as long as round due to that sharp corner wearing. Round chain cuts a little slower ( most would never know the différance) but in dirty wood, bark loaded with crud it will out last square ground. This is a chevy ford dodge thing. Do not over do the gullet when grinding Sq. chain with the standard design chain grinders. You do not want a big deep gullet with a lot of top plate over hang and a big honking beak on the corner area. Course the same basically goes for round as well. I sharpen chains for tree services and some other stuff. For some reason most of what they buy is square- I convert them to round as it is much faster to resharpen them that way- I do not get any complaints. On the other hand I have a company with beam saws, for lack of a better term, 8 ft bars, gravity down feed- those machines are picky as an ex wife. Sq works fine in the warm months but when the wood is frozen they have to use Round other wise they are putting a new chain on every other pallet worth. Which is a royal PIA. Sq converted to round on those machines, does not work well. Why I do not know, as we have messed with all kinds of settings. Even some styles of factory sq give problems , so it is not just me.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score

I have been trying to master square grind for a few years now that chain looks dame fine as it is .As stated it’s a high performance chain and blasphemy to grind it round ,but can be done just my 2 cents worth.;)

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can you use a standard grinder with a properly shaped wheel?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To grind a square ground tooth back to round ground, yes.

It is the end result You want that dictates the shape of the grinding wheel.

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To grind a square ground tooth back to round ground, yes.

It is the end result You want that dictates the shape of the grinding wheel.

Sorry I should have specified. No to grind it square? I have a standard grinder for round chain. But looks like you could shape a new wheel to work for square?

Edit:

If its just as easy to grind it square as round with same grinder by just swapping wheels I would do that instead of living in sin...

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry I should have specified. No to grind it square? I have a standard grinder for round chain. But looks like you could shape a new wheel to work for square?

Edit:

If its just as easy to grind it square as round with same grinder by just swapping wheels I would do that instead of living in sin...

To grind square You need a square grinder and a properly shaped wheel.
The square grinder has more angles that can and need be set for a proper square grind.

As far as I am aware one can grind round with a square grinder, but not square with a round grinder.

There are several members that will grind that loop of Your square, either for a small fee or free.
That would give You a chance to try cutting with a sharp square ground chain.

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I believe I will use this chain and see how I like it. Maybe find a flat file and try sharpening it by hand first before turning it to a round profile. I only cut every once in a while for bbq wood so I cant see spending a bunch of money for another grinder right now.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The standard chop saw style grinder can not grind a chain square in the corner due to the action of the unit. it simply can not be done with a top down motion. The horizontal approach of square grinders currently available has at least one shortcoming -which is the wheel running into the tie straps. Lot of fiddling to get past that. I am not enamored by the chain guide on Simington unit either. That part/area has shortcomings also. I have some designs in mind for square grinder- but have to watch out for patent infringements. I have a Simington now, I have never had an opportunity to drool over any of Silvey Sq. grinder creations in person. Those that I have seen pictures of are all horizontal approach. Never seen a Ziegler ( spelling?) unit at all.