• Total voters

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the 441 once it's been ported. In stock form it's not to impressive. Have it opened up a little bit and it's a super smooth saw with plenty of power. The 441 caught a bad rap with people being stihls first strato saw and it used the husky style AV mounts. I think it was possibly the first auto tune saw from Stihl also. I think we all know about how much saw guys hate change.
The 372 is a solid saw. I'll just always prefer Stihl over husky for a work saw and have a soft spot for the 441.

If it were me though and I could only pick 1 saw to fill my 70cc range spot....I'd sell them both and find a Dolmar 7900/7910 and use the left over money to have it ported.
Ms280c was "technically" the first auto tune Stihl, was the first "Intellicarb" which still allowed manual idle speed and idle mix, while it self adjusted the high speed jet...

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ms280c was "technically" the first auto tune Stihl, was the first "Intellicarb" which still allowed manual idle speed and idle mix, while it self adjusted the high speed jet...
So I guess the 441 was just the first auto tune pro saw then.
The MS280 wasn't a very good saw imo. I've never had one come through here that wasn't already blown up.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I guess the 441 was just the first auto tune pro saw then.
The MS280 wasn't a very good saw imo. I've never had one come through here that was already blown up.
They arent bad for what they are, which is a 50cc clamshell... if you open up the muffler, they are significantly better than stock... the stock muff is REDICULOUSLY restrictive and that makes it the dog that it is....

I happen to own one of them, and have been playing with making it better over the last few yrs....LOL once you muff mod it, it will pull 20" 3/8 full chisel...

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They arent bad for what they are, which is a 50cc clamshell... if you open up the muffler, they are significantly better than stock... the stock muff is REDICULOUSLY restrictive and that makes it the dog that it is....

I happen to own one of them, and have been playing with making it better over the last few yrs....LOL once you muff mod it, it will pull 20" 3/8 full chisel...
To me, it was a replacement for the 028 and it fell way short of the legendary 028. The 028 has to be one of the toughest, most durable saws Stihl ever made. So the 280 had some big shoes to fill.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the original thread. This is all probably a conversation for another thread.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me, it was a replacement for the 028 and it fell way short of the legendary 028. The 028 has to be one of the toughest, most durable saws Stihl ever made. So the 280 had some big shoes to fill.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the original thread. This is all probably a conversation for another thread.
Agreed, the 028 was big shoes to fill... unfortunately the epa had thier influence, as well as noise regulations, that took the 280 downhill...

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you use them for work and they both fulfill the same requirements you will need them both.

I see nothing wrong with having multiple multiple's of 70cc saws. :meparto:

Might I suggest you also add to your existing saws
044 both 10mm and 12mm
460 and 461
572XP
I agree. I like having a backup to the backup.