Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, gonna throw some useful tech in this thread...

How to mod 590,600,620 carbs to be fully adjustable.

Once the carb is removed from saw.

Remove these 4 screws. ^^

This "nozzle" is the culprit. Allows a set amount of fuel to bypass regardless of H needle setting.

Stock "nozzle" you can see a slight step in the bore just above the nozzle to set the depth.

Use a pin punch smaller than the bore to drive the nozzle into the carb throat, open the choke and the nozzle will fall out.

Make sure to have a good hold on the carb while tapping the nozzle out. DO NOT hook the impulse elbow on the edge of the bench, you will snap the line up pegs under the top cover.

Husqvarna part number for the new nozzle. hda 191 carb.
2-4$ part

Stock nozzle left. Just 1 feed hole has to line up exact to get fuel to flow.
New nozzle right.
Has a band undercut, and 2 feed holes a good bit of play and it will still seal/work.

New nozzle driven in to depth. Re install diaphragm/gasket and enjoy a fully adjustable carb.

More than likely you will need to fatten the low side 1/2 turn plus right from the get go.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great job on the echo sir. Looks like some homework payed off very well with that one. I like to read and see off brand saw builds. Makes me wonder what my slow shinny might be capable of someday

Thank you.

Offbrand? What are these other brands you speak of? Lol

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like I said before, you have me looking for a 60cc ish Echo. I think that I need to experience one. Prior to this site if it wasn't a Stihl I had zero interest. Now I'm loving the Dolmars (have 3 of them) and about to build a Husky!?!?

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
4:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Have always liked my jonsered/husky but always wanted to try a echo but no dealers around my area. Got a shindaiwa dealer awhile back but they're not a servicing dealer but got a 491 from them anyways. I like it so far other than it's pretty ignorant to cold start but other than that it seems to have plenty of torque and I think it is dying for a pretty good muff mod. It still is breaking in as well so no big expectations just yet.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have always liked my jonsered/husky but always wanted to try a echo but no dealers around my area. Got a shindaiwa dealer awhile back but they're not a servicing dealer but got a 491 from them anyways. I like it so far other than it's pretty ignorant to cold start but other than that it seems to have plenty of torque and I think it is dying for a pretty good muff mod. It still is breaking in as well so no big expectations just yet.

Carb limiters?

Try richening the low needle a bit 1\8 turn or so.

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Will try that next time I pick it up. Thank you. And yes still has limiters in it. I literally needed a beat around saw and my ms230 had been in the dealership for 3 months so I bought the shinny. Haven't got much time on it so far just odd jobs around the farm and a little firewood cutting.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will try that next time I pick it up. Thank you. And yes still has limiters in it. I literally needed a beat around saw and my ms230 had been in the dealership for 3 months so I bought the shinny. Haven't got much time on it so far just odd jobs around the farm and a little firewood cutting.

Let me know how it goes, that is a clone of the 490. Mine was tuned a bit lean for my liking with the limiters.

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll definitely let ya know. I'll have a bunch of hours on all my saws here in the next month. Clearing out creekbottom Russian olives mixed with half rotten cottonwoods so I run into all kinds of snags. Mine always seems to run way fat but I also live at 5200 ft

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm going to have to try a ported 590-620 series saw. They look like they have really good power and torque and I love the cackle at idle. Reminds me a bit of a Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12...

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised running this saw. It's a smooth operator and the cheap plastics didn't crumble apart and slice my hands up. It had a good sound to it too...good thing the Mexican muffler repair shop boys were probably half in the bag when we were out running it. Nice job on it joe. And it was nice ta meet ya.

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was pleasantly surprised running this saw. It's a smooth operator and the cheap plastics didn't crumble apart and slice my hands up. It had a good sound to it too...good thing the Mexican muffler repair shop boys were probably half in the bag when we were out running it. Nice job on it joe. And it was nice ya meet ya.

Thank you sir. Nice meeting you too.

Dropped this saw off to @Deets066 today, after Big T fondled it a wee bit. All the scrubbing/rubbing he did to it, surprised it has any plastic left :)