So does anyone fish or just nah???

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_20160810_115224651.jpg

Lake Cumberland. Striper fishing in masterminds back yard.

Biggest was 32", 12.14#

If you are going to Randy's on December 3rd, go to Cumberland on the 4th and get you some!!!

Had 7 fish on 5 poles at the same time. Limited out in 5 hours!!!

Youngest reeled in the biggest one that had another keeper on it!!!

Crazy when the school slams the troll!!

An hour of boredom, then bam, bam,bam,bam,bam all rods screaming

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 30060

Biggest was 32", 12.14#

If you are going to Randy's on December 3rd, go to Cumberland on the 4th and get you some!!!

Are those hybrids? Nice fish. I troll for them here in December

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 30060

Biggest was 32", 12.14#

Nice. We kill the stripers and hybrids in mid-Ga on Lake Juliette (Ga Power lake). 10-30lb stripers can be had all day long trolling in the right areas, right deep depths, at the right times. The bigguns are like fighting and pulling up a trolling motor battery, with fins and gills. When they get to schooling and running the shad into the shallower 6-12ft of water, it's a every cast slaughter with Rapalas and Bang-o-lures. Fun fishin'.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What is the best way to cook these stripers??? Guide said he microwaves them???

I like battered and fried, you know, the healthy way, with tartar sauce and lemon

30 pound stripers, good grief!!!

What is the limit in GA, 2 a day in KY

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I like battered and fried, you know, the healthy way, with tartar sauce and lemon

15 daily in Ga...depending on the lake/waterway, there are different length restrictions based on where you're fishing.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

As far as cooking stripers...prep of the fish is number one. When you fillet them like a typical fish, you've gotta cut out the red meat that runs along the fishes lateral line. It's real oily and strong fishy tasting if you don't. It's mostly blood vessel and connective tissue and needs to be cut out with a fillet knife. Some folks will leave the red meat along the lateral line, soak the fillet pieces in milk for a few hours before breading and hitting the fish fryer. Fried is best to me, but they can be grilled, baked/broiled, blackened with seasoning in a cast iron skillet is damn good. Another thing not to forget when cleaning stripers...always take a fillet knife and remove the big plug of 'cheek' meat on either top of the head, as well as the 'collar meat' (triangles of meat behind the gills). On big stripers, these areas of solid meat are bigger than large sea scallops at times, and if you like sea scallops, these plugs of meat on the grill basted down with melted butter/lemon/sea salt are every bit as good, if not better. Can even wrap a piece of bacon around them...damn fine eats on the grill.

Hope this helps ya.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks!!! The guide did cut the lateral line out. Not sure if ours were big enough to do the cheek meat. I have plenty to try several cooking methods.

Thanks for your help, lots of fish to fix now.

Will vacuum seal and freeze some for sure.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 30088

Of course in masterminds lake, we use bananas for bait!!!

15/ day per person???

You could a years worth of fish in a day??
Yes, 15 a day limit/per person. You better have some big coolers in the boat if they're two or three of ya fishing for them. The boat live wells don't cut it at all.

Last edited:

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks!!! The guide did cut the lateral line out. Not sure if ours were big enough to do the cheek meat. I have plenty to try several cooking methods.

Thanks for your help, lots of fish to fix now.

Will vacuum seal and freeze some for sure.
You're welcome...enjoy the good eats.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys are lucky down south. Around mid November open water fishing is just about over except for the die hards on the rivers and big lake. Some people love ice fishing but I'm not one of them.

Wish we had stripers up here. We have walleyes, northern, musky, small and large mouth bass, sauger, white bass. Then everything the Great Lakes have rainbow trout, coho, lake trout .... The species you guys talk about are foreign to me.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@redoakneck ...You can't go wrong with either of these seasoned fish fry breading mixes. I'm sure these are available in your area. I usually mix about half and half btwn the two when I'm doing fish, fresh raw oysters, etc in the fish fryers. Loisianna Fish Fry has what you see on the left with the yellow label, and they have a 'crispy' version as well with a blue label. There's a catch to the crispy though, at least how it's marketed around here in Ga...it has a yellow label as well in the stores here. Don't know if available in your area, what color label the crispy version may have. Academy Sports here sells it, and I ordered four, 4-gal each cases, free shipping, one time online of the pictured, yellow label 'regular' fish fry...damn if they didn't send me all 'crispy'...with a yellow label on them. Took it right back to Academy which is about half a mile from my house, got my money back. You may prefer the crispy version of LA Fish Fry, I personally don't...way too much breading on the fish, oysters, etc when they come out the 350 deg peanut oil. Just kinda pay attention to the yellow label jugs if you go that route. Up until a year or so ago, all the LA Fish Fry around these parts that were 'crispy' version, we're all blue label jugs.

As far as Zataran's goes...have never seen a crispy version of it, not saying it ain't out there, I've never seen it. The jug of Zataran's in the pic on the right hand side is the only fish fry mix I've ever used from them. I keep both these stocked around here by the gallon jugs...we do some serious fish frys around my house, and quite often. I do all my bass, crappie, bream, catfish, oysters, etc in both of these.
image.jpeg
...by the way, if it's the crispy version of LA Fish Fry with the yellow label affixed, it'll say 'crispy' in bold letters just above the words 'FISH FRY.'

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Grilled alot of P.N.W. fish this year. Courtesy of dad and dry ice.

grill 034.JPG

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grilled alot of P.N.W. fish this year. Courtesy of dad and dry ice.

View attachment 30143
Older, retired Boeing engineer brother of mine used to have to go to Tacoma/Seattle quite a bit. He would send back to Ga lbs and lbs of salmon on dry ice that we'd grill, send back lbs of the finest smoked salmon ya ever had as well. Some of the finest grilled salmon we ever had. And the smoked, best stuff on the planet. Our mother used to take a few lbs of the smoked and make it into a smoked salmon dip...every sleeve of crackers, whether Ritz, Wheat Thins, regular ol' saltine, plus all the boxes of fancy crackers, would disappear in a days' time.

One day I'm gonna take a two week trip to the PNW with one thing in mind...hit every fine seafood joint I can find. And gonna do the same on the coast of Maine...one day.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys are lucky down south. Around mid November open water fishing is just about over except for the die hards on the rivers and big lake. Some people love ice fishing but I'm not one of them.

Wish we had stripers up here. We have walleyes, northern, musky, small and large mouth bass, sauger, white bass. Then everything the Great Lakes have rainbow trout, coho, lake trout .... The species you guys talk about are foreign to me.

There's nothing else in this world like the Great Lakes. Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake come close but no cigar. I didn't really appreciate them until I sat on the Ninth street pier in Cleveland and looked out. Or the Harbor at Ashtabula. Just God on earth.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright here's how you cook a striper This is the easiest way My personal fav. Clean n skin em. Cut out a meal sized portion. Set oven to 350. Cook till he turns sorta white. All that depends on thickness. Pull the fish out before he is done. That is very important. Jack the broiler up to 550. Melt butter with salt n pepper and lemon juice. I also use just a tad of old bay seasoning. (The stuff you cook crabs with). While you're waiting on the broiler to get red hot you wanna pour that there mixture you've made gently over the rockfish striper whatever you call her. Now pay very close attention to your supper when you toss it in that hot ass broiler. Finish him in the broiler. That intense heat will brown the top of the meat cause of the butter you have put on it This meal takes like 20 minute Absolute slamming. If you have a smaller fish you may skip the oven at 350 possibly. I just like to know mine are done.