So does anyone fish or just nah???

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm assuming the green ghost is the one just above the picture I reposted ?
Yep
Those (2) particular flies were tied for display purposes only. Not because they're tied any differently, but because I used superior materials. Usually don't break out the good stuff on fishing flies.

That feather you see on the cheek that resembles an "eye".......
That's a Jungle Fowl feather.
They are illegal to sell in the US.
I bought a skin from a guy in Sweden about 7-8yrs ago and it wasn't cheap!
But a lot of vintage fly recipes call for it and I hate using substitute on display flies.

Little pattern called "Jassid" uses it too.
One of the only "dry" fly patterns to utilize JungleCock (fowl)

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir I understand some of those old patterns also call for polar bear fur. Very hard to get ahold of. There's actually quite a few materials that aren't to be used that are in the books. I'd imagine you'd already know that from what you just mentioned. You done a hella job on those man. Just outstanding work sir

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir I understand some of those old patterns also call for polar bear fur. Very hard to get ahold of. There's actually quite a few materials that aren't to be used that are in the books. I'd imagine you'd already know that from what you just mentioned. You done a hella job on those man. Just outstanding work sir
Thank you Sir!

Black Bear isn't too difficult.
Polar bear on the other hand.......good luck.
I've seen it once, on a fly already tied.
It had a translucency like no other white fur I've seen. Closest I've found was skunk body fur

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long you been tying sir? I'm only on about my 3rd year. I do it mainly in the winter unless I find somthing really working for me then I'll spin 6 or 8 up to have on hand I fish wrecks when possible so I loose lots of stuff... I build almost all my tackle. Pour lead ect. The flounder in the picture above was on a nice all black bucktail. I collect some of my furs myself. I dye it usually with the rit dyes from walmart.

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long you been tying sir? I'm only on about my 3rd year. I do it mainly in the winter unless I find somthing really working for me then I'll spin 6 or 8 up to have on hand I fish wrecks when possible so I loose lots of stuff... I build almost all my tackle. Pour lead ect. The flounder in the picture above was on a nice all black bucktail. I collect some of my furs myself. I dye it usually with the rit dyes from walmart.
Probably 8-9yrs
Like you, only tie in the winter.
Need any materials? LOL
Send me a PM.....Ill give you my cell#

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a feeling our fishing is similar:)

I use jitterbugs and spooks a lot. I love making lures and catching fish on something you made is way more fun. Never used a skitterpop. I'll look them up. How do you like to fish them?

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a nice slow pop with a good pause

I have a feeling our fishing is similar:)

I use jitterbugs and spooks a lot. I love making lures and catching fish on something you made is way more fun. Never used a skitterpop. I'll look them up. How do you like to fish them?

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only flies I fish that I don't personally tie, are bass cork poppers on my 8wt.
Not that I can't or won't tie them, but it's really not cost effective for me. But the main reason being is the painting involved.
I'm a perfectionist (or like to think I am) when it comes to tying flies and in order to get the paint finish I would be content with, I'd have to invest in an air brush

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol I almost bought an airbrush. I make tsunami ball jigs. I'm dipping them solid colors right now. I'll end up with an airbrush this winter. They Aren't that god awful expensive. Airbrushes

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a pic of fish but did score this old school 21" tall Brinkmann high pressure fish cooker Friday for a whopping $5. And got two unopened 6-square yard, grade 90 packs of cheese cloth as well, for straining the peanut oil after cooking. Regulator/burner runs like a champ. He'll fit right in with my other three fish cookers. We do some serious fish frying throwdowns here with bass, bream, crappie...hush puppies, fries, coleslaw, cheese grits. Damn sure wasn't gonna pass it up for $5.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a pic of fish but did score this old school 21" tall Brinkmann high pressure fish cooker Friday for a whopping $5. And got two unopened 6-square yard, grade 90 packs of cheese cloth as well, for straining the peanut oil after cooking. Regulator/burner runs like a champ. He'll fit right in with my other three fish cookers. We do some serious fish frying throwdowns here with bass, bream, crappie...hush puppies, fries, coleslaw, cheese grits. Damn sure wasn't gonna pass it up for $5.
/QUOTE]

Nice score I love seafood. Looks like you might like BBQ also. I see you got a hella stash of charcoal

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are called 'scuds'. It's what most used in lake Taneycomo (White river) below Table Rock dam.

b55492a743dfb8e6b13654c0b948b35c.jpg

Down to #24 size. I have the son in law tie them on the tippet for me as I can hardly see the hook eye.

The holder is a godsend.