SHOW ME YOUR AXES

Allanb8d

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That mirror polished ax with no pol, how does it swing? So you find balance is a bit iffy?

It's swings really nice. Basque axe (named after the region it came from in Spain) use no wedges to seat the handle. 6.6 lb head on 29.5 handle. Shorter handle allows for more accuracy, and the girth of the handle is just right.

I split using a chopping block so the shorter handle doesn't bother me. Now the geometry of the head is quite nice, the longer edge prevents it from getting stuck too deep. Definitely too heavy and handle too short for horizontal swings. Splitting vertically, perfect.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's swings really nice. Basque axe (named after the region it came from in Spain) use no wedges to seat the handle. 6.6 lb head on 29.5 handle. Shorter handle allows for more accuracy, and the girth of the handle is just right.

I split using a chopping block so the shorter handle doesn't bother me. Now the geometry of the head is quite nice, the longer edge prevents it from getting stuck too deep. Definitely too heavy and handle too short for horizontal swings. Splitting vertically, perfect.
Interesting....6.6lbs is a hefty son of a gun.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are folks preferring for wedges? I have several axe heads to hang so will pull the table saw out and cut a bunch. I have most hardwoods to choose from -softer birch and poplar through hard maple and hickory with beech, oak, cherry, ash in between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are folks preferring for wedges? I have several axe heads to hang so will pull the table saw out and cut a bunch. I have most hardwoods to choose from -softer birch and poplar through hard maple and hickory with beech, oak, cherry, ash in between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A lot of people around here use pineknot.
I've never tried it & use Poplar with no issues over the years.
There is a tutorial online how to mod a cut kerf in the handle that will really prepare a handle for a wedge.
I've done it a couple times with great success (it's like 3 staggered cuts to clean up the kerf before wedging).

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TT Kelly Flint Edge I bought a couple days ago off a 88 year old man.
That's a rough Plumb Boys axe I bought with it.
Paid $30 for both.
He has some killer axes for sale (Kelly Perfects, Plumbs, TT, Collins Legitimus ect...).

Problem is, he feels he has to sharpen them all on his bench grinder (ruins em for me).
I tried to tell him he is ruining them but dont know if it "Took".
Sad.

I'll use the hell out of that Plumb around here tho!:D

Refinished that Flint Edge now (head soaking in BLO) it turned out awesome!:aplastao:
20211012_161717.jpg