Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 270385
I want to turn these more of a blackened color should I use some perma blue? Not sure if I should leave them as is and put linseed oil on them or blue them, also don't know what other inexpensive options I have?
Anything vinegar based will turn them darker. Oranges, potatoes, onions, limes. But gun blue is fastest and lasts longer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything vinegar based will turn them darker. Oranges, potatoes, onions, limes. But gun blue is fastest and lasts longer

I soaked them in white vinegar and scrubbed them before the picture to get rid of the rust. I will try the blueing agent and report back with pics. Thanks

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I soaked them in white vinegar and scrubbed them before the picture to get rid of the rust. I will try the blueing agent and report back with pics. Thanks
If you put it in vinegar, let it soak for about a day or less,take them out and let them dry before you wipe them off ,most of the black patina will stay on them. But the blueing agent will work

Vice

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score

I was going to say some white vinegar and a big batch of olde files, steal wool
View attachment 270385
I want to turn these more of a blackened color should I use some perma blue? Not sure if I should leave them as is and put linseed oil on them or blue them, also don't know what other inexpensive options I have?
every time I see a double bit axe I think of an ole friend of my dads who was a loggger that logged by hand and horse for his grandfather that didn’t believe in power tools. He was as tuff as they get, when you shook his hand your hand would get enveloped by something I can’t really explain. He told me for his 14th birth day he wanted a double bit axe. The first day swinging it to limb some low hemlock branches, he over shot and hit the springy branch with the half and it came back and hit him in the forehead. He but his bandana around it and went back to work. I was always scared to use one