Seeking Accurate Grinder

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it a hassle to swap over grind wheels to set the rakers? Is the accuracy within "a few thou" like grinding the cutters?

Just buy 2 grinders then you don’t have to swap wheels.

D9199AAA-A196-46CA-89EB-27C01C5A17BA.jpeg

After you receive your grinder pay attention to this little PIA pin, it likes to work it’s way out. A few wraps of tape or a small hose clamp will keep it from working out.

6CC2F3FC-1CA1-4618-AC2A-D035BB718459.jpeg 9C98AF78-E54F-45D3-94A0-46B5035AA17C.jpeg 5F968B73-D81E-4010-B598-57D7F2A51A24.jpeg 0A2E8F04-4052-4A1A-BC05-FFFE1582AE9F.jpeg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never cared for the shape of the Depth Gauges when done on a grinder. Much rather keep up on them with a guide and file.

Depth Gauges are supposed to be shaped to the OEM profile, whether adjusted with a file or a grinder. If I want them to be really smooth, and look nice, I hit them with a ScotchBrite wheel.

Once I ground a few chains the raker profile kinda embedded itself into the wheel. So I rolled with it

Or this^^^. Some guys intentionally profile a wheel just for doing depth gauges.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a thread somewhere where somebody built a recessed box for their wall-mounted grinder, and ran a shop vac inlet into the box. It looked pretty nice but I don't remember who it was or what site I saw it on. o_O

I did find a photo that I posted back when I got my grinder set up.

I got the profile of the intake tube just right by running the grinder through its full range of motion, and giving the tube a lick with the circle saw as needed. ;)

20210226_205450.jpg

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone use any kind of lubricant while grinding? I always use lube when I grind with my little 12v grinder, but so far I haven't seen anyone using it with these larger grinders.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to clean the grinding wheel if you get oil on it, so probably not many people add oil on purpose.

I've seen several people say that brake fluid works okay to clean CBN wheels. (I find that a little oil on the chain doesn't hurt anything, but I clean seriously greasy chains in the ultrasonic before grinding.)

I'd be curious to know if the ceramic cleaning stick that comes with the wheels gets oil off or not, haven't had occasion to try it myself yet.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You have to clean the grinding wheel if you get oil on it, so probably not many people add oil on purpose.

I've seen several people say that brake fluid works okay to clean CBN wheels. (I find that a little oil on the chain doesn't hurt anything, but I clean seriously greasy chains in the ultrasonic before grinding.)

I'd be curious to know if the ceramic cleaning stick that comes with the wheels gets oil off or not, haven't had occasion to try it myself yet.
The grinding lube is not an oil, it is a wax that builds up on the surface of the grinding stone/wheel. When I use the lube with my 12v grinder the cutters have a nearly mirror shine. The grinding lube effectively gives the grinding stone a finer finish and reduces heat.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried ‘Kool-Grind’: basically a wax crayon designed for this purpose. Not impressed.

I try to clean chains before I grind them to keep gunk out of my wheels.

The most important thing is to lightly dress the wheels before each chain, to keep exposing fresh, sharp, abrasive.

Philbert

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tried ‘Kool-Grind’: basically a wax crayon designed for this purpose. Not impressed.

I try to clean chains before I grind them to keep gunk out of my wheels.

The most important thing is to lightly dress the wheels before each chain, to keep exposing fresh, sharp, abrasive.

Philbert
I've made my way about half way through the 511a thread on AS and finished the resinoid wheel thread. I use the Kool Grind on my 12v grinder. I'll probably give it a try since I already have it. I'm hoping it gives a finer edge.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a thread somewhere where somebody built a recessed box for their wall-mounted grinder, and ran a shop vac inlet into the box. It looked pretty nice but I don't remember who it was or what site I saw it on. o_O
I think it was a Stihl USG thread on here

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did anyone find the white or light pink Tecomec VO grind wheels? The graphic makes it seem like the light pink and white give a finer finish.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just found this grinding wheel shaper while looking at different grinding wheels and such. Has anyone used it? I've seen the shaper listed on other websites for less than where I have linked, but that's the first place I ran across it. I also found the pink grinding wheels on Amazon.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$70?? Another $30 gets you a CBN wheel that will always be the same size and shape.

Profiling pink wheels manually is really easy, easier than it sounds even.

I like the finish of the pink wheels better, but that's a really picky little point when we're talking about firewood chains. Everything else about CBN is better.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
$70?? Another $30 gets you a CBN wheel that will always be the same size and shape.

Profiling pink wheels manually is really easy, easier than it sounds even.

I like the finish of the pink wheels better, but that's a really picky little point when we're talking about firewood chains. Everything else about CBN is better.

I'm looking for the finest edge, not really for firewood cutting, but for milling. The dressing stone can absolutely profile the wheel, but I'm sure the tool will do a better job than I can and I'm looking for accuracy. If the CBN wheels gave the finest edge that's what I would go for. To be fair I've already noticed a really significant increase in sharpness over my old Granberg bar mounted grinder. I haven't milled since sharpening with the Tecomec, but I noticed a huge difference in cross cutting. I always felt like I did a pretty good job with the bar mounted jigs and such, but the Super Jolly is much more precise.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that the common wisdom that "CBN is coarser" comes from everyone ordering what's on offer on Diamond Wheel's front page.

Since they do custom wheels, I imagine you could request any grit you wanted, but I don't know where the falloff will be where it gets too slow and turns into a polishing wheel. ;) (Though you could probably ask when you request a quote, must be something they get asked a lot.)

That said, I ordered what was on offer too, and my wheel is noticeably coarser than the pink ones.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I believe that the common wisdom that "CBN is coarser" comes from everyone ordering what's on offer on Diamond Wheel's front page.

Since they do custom wheels, I imagine you could request any grit you wanted, but I don't know where the falloff will be where it gets too slow and turns into a polishing wheel. ;) (Though you could probably ask when you request a quote, must be something they get asked a lot.)

That said, I ordered what was on offer too, and my wheel is noticeably coarser than the pink ones.
Is the Diamond Wheels website still active? It looks ancient and also there is an AOL email address listed.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the Diamond Wheels website still active? It looks ancient and also there is an AOL email address listed.

They were a going concern a few months ago. I picked my wheel on their site and ordered it through their Amazon storefront.

I'd probably call them, I am not sure AOL is still even a thing (and if it is, I don't want to know why...).