High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Seeking Accurate Grinder

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to to perform a field repair on my Granberg Precision grinder and it is not going to live much longer I think. This little grinder served me well, up until I started milling. I'm looking for a proper swing arm style grinder. My primary concern is accuracy, but I'm also not made of money. I have very little knowledge of the serious grinders and this is the only forum I would trust the opinions about grinders. Any suggestions? There are a few used sub $300 units on eBay, but I don't know anything about them.

Thank you!

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am trying to search the web and read about this stuff myself, but there are countless pages with reviews of only new products that the author has never even touched.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the best grinder around $300 is the Tecomec Super Jolly. $330 at Maverick mower supply. Should be free shipping. It's the same as the Oregon 620. Nice thing about the super jolly is not having to clamp each driver when grinding the cutter (it does it for you hydraulically). Very nice when you're doing long loops. My other pick would be to find a used stihl USG. I have no idea about the grinder you linked to.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Stihl USG is out of my budget, but the Super Jolly might be the ticket. I can't find any used grinders worth a damn.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
nielson grinder - very old. i have one of the clone hydro clamp units - so dang stiff i have not messed with it. that said most of the chopsaw style units are almost the same and many parts interchange despite the name ( chi com mfg). the ability to tilt the vise fore and aft is nice when you need to do low profile teeth or any of the mico chains - allows you the clean out gullet without grinding into the tie strap among other points. CBN wheels save a lot of time and are cleaner running as well and less overheating of the cutting edge.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is this the correct Super Jolly? The price is $60-100 less than everywhere else. I've seen another one listed around the same price, but I accidentally closed the tab.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This one looks too good to be true being listed for $215. I also didn't realize that the CBN grind wheels could cost as much as the unit. I'll probably stick with the standard stuff for a while.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one looks too good to be true being listed for $215. I also didn't realize that the CBN grind wheels could cost as much as the unit. I'll probably stick with the standard stuff for a while.

The super jolly from Maverick is listed as a Stens product also, and it's the real deal. I'd say the Walmart one looks legit (though personally I'd pay the extra $23 to keep my money out of their hands). I've never heard of the site you linked to above, and I'd be a little skeptical personally.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I ordered the Super Jolly. Thanks for the input on the thread. Allegedly it may even be here this coming Thursday.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any tips for mounting this thing? I was considering a metal tripod, but I'm stingy and $75 after spending over $300 on the grinder is rubbing salt in the wound.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I clamp to the bench with a wood clamp when I use it.

Bessey36-inchClutch-StyleBarClamp-8162665136134fb5857d971b8bb02ebd.jpg

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had considered doing something like that as well, but I don't even have a work bench yet. My tailgate is the closest thing at the moment.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any tips for mounting this thing? I was considering a metal tripod, but I'm stingy and $75 after spending over $300 on the grinder is rubbing salt in the wound.

Bolt it to a 2xwhatever and bolt the 2x to the bench (or wall) with wing nuts. Then you can swap it in and out quickly if you need to.

I went to Home Depot and bought a buckethead ($20 shop vac that goes on top of a regular 5g bucket). The end of the hose fits exactly into a schedule 40 to 1 1/4" tubular drain pipe adapter, so I have a schedule 40 spark catcher screwed to the grinder, powered by a dedicated shop vac, for about $30.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bolt it to a 2xwhatever and bolt the 2x to the bench (or wall) with wing nuts. Then you can swap it in and out quickly if you need to.

I went to Home Depot and bought a buckethead ($20 shop vac that goes on top of a regular 5g bucket). The end of the hose fits exactly into a schedule 40 to 1 1/4" tubular drain pipe adapter, so I have a schedule 40 spark catcher screwed to the grinder, powered by a dedicated shop vac, for about $30.
That's a nice setup. I may do something similar when we build a real shop. I'll be using this thing outside powered off of a generator and storing it in my tough box when not in use. Probably going to go with the Kevin method of attaching the stuff to a board and putting that in the vise.