Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would give ya some help but sometimes my "advice' goes against the grain of what is commonly accepted.....

You know what works......not gonna be talking out your ass.

You blew me away when we talked about ignition timing in NY...

sawracr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
OK OK now you know how hard it is to get info, understand there is a lot to building a race saw (I.E. Port placement, boost ports, cylinder head, squish, ignition timing, lightning of rotating mass, blown down, ect.) with that being said everyone needs to scratch around with a dremel some figures to start with and these will be port open timing , exhaust 165-175 degrees transfers 120-124 degrees intake 150-160 degrees, do not exceed the with of piston skirt or you will wonder why it won't run, one other start with a cheap cylinder just in case.
GOOD LUCK

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone’s numbers will run differently with how big the muffler opening is too. I’ve used 98-102 on exhaust and they’re pretty much identical. The factory big bore jugs I’ve gone as high as 94 and they still have decent torque if you’re racing in cants and not 16” logs. I’d keep it lower if that’s the case.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pie aside .Google these .Mac Dizzy,Two stroke tuners guide by Gordon Jennings,Two stroke performance tuning by A Graham Bell ,Fox valley kart .It's all there with several methods and opinions .It's all explained .Best advice I can muster up on a short notice .

Terrence Jefferson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It did arrive. Thank you. I have been so busy I haven't touched a saw in weeks. My oldest daughter is playing softball and soccer this summer and that's 3 nights a week and my side work has been so crazy. But I did get a piston and sent it to get machined and when I get it back I will get numbers with both Pistons if I can figure out how to get this wheel hooked up.

McCollough

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any luck getting your wheel setup? I just went through this thread and I'm intrigued

Terrence Jefferson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok so got up and went to working on this saw. No go easy on me I'm a rookie with this stuff. Lol. I got some numbers and they go like this. Exhaust is 95 intake is 77 and transfers are 122 do those numbers sound even close to anything good. I'm looking to get as much as I can and still be reliable. But if it does blow up at least I learned something. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Terrence Jefferson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just finished putting it together and test ran it. It seems to run well. I don't have any wood to try it in so hopefully tomorrow I will get some to try it in. It runs strong and has fast response on the throttle. I just hope it will have more torque than the stock one I had did. I'm planning a mm on it ,the squish is tighter than I had hoped it's at 15 thousands but sounds ok. Time will only tell. It may not be worth a crap and I'll have to go back in for more work.

Terrence Jefferson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ran this saw this am in some wood at work ( dry elm) and it cut well. I checked the rpm's on it and it's set at 13500 no load and it tached at 12500 in the wood. It runs well and seems strong but it definitely needs a better chain. I have one that I'm going to be working on this week.

Terrence Jefferson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have ran this saw a bit more and modded the muffler . Test ran the saw in a dry piece of elm and I couldn't slow the saw down. It feels like a strong runner. I hope it will perform well this weekend .