Redback 18", 120V Lithium, Cordless (Battery) Chainsaw

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess not since I have no idea what your post means or it's relevance to this thread topic.
OK, I'll explain. Electricity is not free. Neither is mixed fuel that runs most chainsaws in the USA and most small engine equipment. But, if you add up the cost required to run a small engine on electricity during its lifetime, you will likely pay more than the gas engine equivalent. The batteries coupled with the cost of the electricity to charge them will cost you more than the mixed fuel.

Also, the power and run time of the battery-powered saw will never match the internal combustion engine. I can cut a full pickup truckload of firewood on one tank of mixed fuel, fill it in five minutes, cut another, fill it in five minutes, cut another, etc. The saw will outlast my strength. You cannot do that with any battery-powered electric saw and you will never be able to do it in your lifetime.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You cannot do that with any battery-powered electric saw and you will never be able to do it in your lifetime.

That's an awfully big assumption Edwin!

Look at how cordless contractor tools have changed through the last 25 years. Talk to that guy building the Tesla cars. Look at all the electric forklift running in factories, and the electric motorcycles now on the road. Etc., etc., etc.

Oh yeah, those submarines and locomotives that run on electric power.

It might be fair to say that, 'Today there is no electric chainsaw on the market that competes with a larger, gas powered chainsaw'. But you have no idea what products will be released next year, or which are on the drawing boards.

Maybe you are just predicting very short lifespans for the rest of us?

Philbert

JimS

OPE Member
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
OK, I'll explain. Electricity is not free. Neither is mixed fuel that runs most chainsaws in the USA and most small engine equipment. But, if you add up the cost required to run a small engine on electricity during its lifetime, you will likely pay more than the gas engine equivalent. The batteries coupled with the cost of the electricity to charge them will cost you more than the mixed fuel.

Also, the power and run time of the battery-powered saw will never match the internal combustion engine. I can cut a full pickup truckload of firewood on one tank of mixed fuel, fill it in five minutes, cut another, fill it in five minutes, cut another, etc. The saw will outlast my strength. You cannot do that with any battery-powered electric saw and you will never be able to do it in your lifetime.

As I suspected you are attempting to derail the topic at hand with an ill informed rant about electric vs gas which is probably based on your fear of change and the future. Simply put, electric motors have 100% torque available at 1 RPM, no gas motor can match that. Just because no manufacturer has yet to build an electric saw to match a gas saw doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. EV's such as the Tesla are already able to beat most production gas cars on the road today, and they've only been building cars in volume for about 5 years now. The Tesla Model S is a 4500 lb luxury sedan that can beat most sports cars and muscle cars 0-60.
Electricity is far cheaper than gas and can be generated from many different sources, including solar panels on your own roof.
Electric saws don't surround you in a cloud of 2 stroke exhaust. I hate having to use my gas saw and hate the way I smell after using it. No way is that stuff good for my lungs.
Electric saws are much quieter, you don't have to use ear protection.
Battery powered saws can be quickly "fueled" by swapping in a fresh battery. Technology exists to have an hour long battery charge and an hour long recharge time, which means two batteries would allow you to keep cutting until you drop.
If you want to include the cost of a new battery pack then you better include the downtime and maintenance for a gas saw such as a carb rebuild, exhaust cleaning, and probable motor rebuild. Electric motors have one moving part and should last longer than a gas motor. There is a reason industrial processes which require 24/7 operation use electric motors.
Almost everyone uses battery powered cordless drills and other cordless tools. All those tools have gotten more powerful over time, no reason not to expect the same thing to happen with chain saws.
Unless you're near death's door you can expect to see electric saws rival gas saws in your lifetime, just as electric cars are already beating gas cars.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let's get back to battery saws, please? Specifically, this thread is on the Redback 120V saw, which is somewhat unique at that voltage.

User experiences?

Comparisons to other cordless chainsaws or O*P*E?

Lots of other threads on different brands, or comparing cordless,battery / corded electric / gas, 2-cycle saws.

Thanks.

Philbert

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rant? Baloney! You guys have been ranting at me. I use cordless tools all the time in my shop. Low horsepower, no cords. Chain saws are a different story because you need power and torque.

I filled another truckload with bucked wood today. One tank of fuel. Might have cost me a half a buck. My Husky 350 saw was ready to supply the next load.

Perhaps what we need to do is stop comparing battery electric saws to gas saws and just compare electrics to electrics and let it go at that.

JimS

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rant? Baloney! You guys have been ranting at me. I use cordless tools all the time in my shop. Low horsepower, no cords. Chain saws are a different story because you need power and torque.
What makes you think electric motors don't deliver both? HP is a factor of torque and RPM, electric motors can spin much higher RPM's than gas motors, plus have instant torque.

I filled another truckload with bucked wood today. One tank of fuel. Might have cost me a half a buck. My Husky 350 saw was ready to supply the next load.

Perhaps what we need to do is stop comparing battery electric saws to gas saws and just compare electrics to electrics and let it go at that.

Funny statement since you're the one who brought up the topic:

This saw weighs over 16 pounds? I asked my Husky 353 and my Stihl 026 PRO about this and they said that they are not jealous. Both handle an 18" bar. When they run out of fuel, they both can get going in a minute or so with a fresh tank of fuel that costs me about a quarter or so.

The simple fact is, like it or not, there is no reason an electric saw can't be built with the same or better performance than a gas saw, and eventually it will happen.

Funny thing is I've been thinking of building my own electric saw for a while but when I saw the RedBack for $270 I thought it might be good enough and save me the trouble of a custom build, but now I'm considering it again. If you want something done right....

JimS

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do expect the saw would perform better with the larger 3Ah battery pack. Under load the smaller 2Ah pack will be working harder supplying current and voltage will sag more than with the larger pack. Power = V x A so not only would you get longer run time you'd get higher power output. Unfortunately at $200 for the 3Ah pack it's not worth it for me to experiment with.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ddid some 'serious' cutting with the 120V saw over the weekend. Doing some follow-up clearing of dead and downed trees at a summer camp in Central Minnesota.

IMG_1024.jpg IMG_1025.jpg IMG_1026.jpg

The low-kickback bar and chain were not great on the bore cuts above, but the saw's ability to still pull them through says something about its power. A different bar and chain combo should be considered if you plan to do a lot of plunge cutting. Saw did much better on traditional bucking and limbing cuts. Love the low noise level, easy start, low maintenance, etc.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took the 120V saw up to a service project in northern Minnesota, this past weekend, helping a scout camp recovering from some damaging storms, and got some of the volunteers to try it. All were pretty impressed what it could do, compared to the 'real saws' that they were used to. For a few newer sawyers, the simple operation allowed them to concentrate on the sawing, rather than focusing on all of the things necessary to operate a 2-stroke motor. (*no endorsement implied by any organizations*).

IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg
'Why can't we be friends?'
IMG_1201.jpg

Philbert

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BUMP & TTT

I wish I could get one of these, but either the sellers don't ship to Croatia, or they estimate additional costs of easily 200$ for shipping and customs.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BUMP & TTT

I wish I could get one of these, but either the sellers don't ship to Croatia, or they estimate additional costs of easily 200$ for shipping and customs.
Distributed in US by:
Frictionless World LLC
1100 West 120th Avenue, Suite 600
Westminster, Colorado 80234

https://redbackpowerusa.com/product/electric-chainsaw/

Not sure who distributes them in Europe - might be better than getting one shipped from over here?

Philbert

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
hm seems i have to find a way to download it

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Distributed in US by:
Frictionless World LLC
1100 West 120th Avenue, Suite 600
Westminster, Colorado 80234

https://redbackpowerusa.com/product/electric-chainsaw/

Not sure who distributes them in Europe - might be better than getting one shipped from over here?

Philbert
I have looked when You started posting about these saws, there doesn't seem to be any European distributor for the 120Volt RedBack.

Doesn't work for me either.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow the video was only for some minutes online and not listed for search :D
Seems i have to do some editing to this video.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

10 years,ago I would have strongly agreed with your prediction, however we have seen technological changes thought to be very unlikely come true. Battery technology has been suppressed, now it seems the floodgates are at least somewhat opened.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do like the convenience of the PowerSharp chains. The one used in this test was 'borrowed' from a 13A, corded, Makita saw.

Philbert
How do you think this 120v battery saw would compare to the Makita corded electric saw? I'd kinda like to see a test using the same chain swaped from one saw to the other.