RatchetScrench

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used mine occasionally, and find that it works good. Pretty satisfied.

Like I suspected, the reflective tape did not like to stick to the tight radius of the handle, so I’m going to have to use colored shrink wrap, or bright paint, in order to make it harder to lose.

Philbert

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used mine occasionally, and find that it works good. Pretty satisfied.

Like I suspected, the reflective tape did not like to stick to the tight radius of the handle, so I’m going to have to use colored shrink wrap, or bright paint, in order to make it harder to lose.

Philbert

Clear shrink over the reflective tape?

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like mine. It rides in my wedge pouch on my fallers belt. It’s head is small enough to work with Stihl 3/4 wraps which I love

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clear shrink over the reflective tape?

As promised, in the name of Science . . . I placed a piece of 'clear' heat-shrink tubing over the lower (screwdriver) part of the tool; took it into the basement; and hit it with the camera flash.

IMG_0023.jpg
I was skeptical, since the 'clear' heat shrink is really a milky color, and thought that the thickness of the tubing would diffuse the light in both directions (reflective film is designed to return the light rays directly towards the source). You can sort of see it in the photo: the lower portion of the tape still reflects some light, but not as vivid as the not covered, upper portion. Easier to see when hitting it with a flashlight.

Anyway, it does provide some additional visibility if dropped in the dark, and the soft, heat shrink tubing does provide a slightly more comfy grip.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OOOPS!

Rivet Fail 2.jpg

I liked the first RatchetScrench I got, so I gave it to a friend, and ordered a second one for me. After only about 5 bar nuts, I noticed the rivet protruding from one side of the new one, and it easily slipped completely out! Fortunately, I did not lose the small ball bearing or the small spring (recessed in handle / shaft) which make the ratchet work. Nick sent me a replacement tool very quickly, and I may try to repair this one with a hardware store rivet, or a nail.

Just a heads up to keep an eye on this when the tool is new, and catch it if it starts to slip out, before losing parts. Does not seem to be a wear issue. But along with the earlier recall, some better quality control may be in order, along with increased inspection for this first batch.

I do like the tool generally. The ratchet action really only works when the bar nut is close to tight: when it is loose, there is not enough friction for the ratchet to engage, so I find myself holding the other end of the socket to provide resistance. This still makes it handy when the bar nut is recessed and hard to spin with your fingers.

Philbert

RatchetScrench

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OOOPS!

View attachment 257856

I liked the first RatchetScrench I got, so I gave it to a friend, and ordered a second one for me. After only about 5 bar nuts, I noticed the rivet protruding from one side of the new one, and it easily slipped completely out! Fortunately, I did not lose the small ball bearing or the small spring (recessed in handle / shaft) which make the ratchet work. Nick sent me a replacement tool very quickly, and I may try to repair this one with a hardware store rivet, or a nail.

Just a heads up to keep an eye on this when the tool is new, and catch it if it starts to slip out, before losing parts. Does not seem to be a wear issue. But along with the earlier recall, some better quality control may be in order, along with increased inspection for this first batch.

I do like the tool generally. The ratchet action really only works when the bar nut is close to tight: when it is loose, there is not enough friction for the ratchet to engage, so I find myself holding the other end of the socket to provide resistance. This still makes it handy when the bar nut is recessed and hard to spin with your fingers.

Philbert

Thanks for the honest update, Philbert,
The rivet failure was a pretty rare occurrence, but I've seen it happen... glad we were able to get you a good replacement, quick!
The BIG news is that we ran out of inventory and we're waiting for the next shipment.
We'll be sure to share the news, here, when we're back in stock!
In the mean time, Bailey's Online has a small amount of inventory, here:

https://www.baileysonline.com/ratchet-scrench-19mm-x-13mm-17277.html

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a couple of these and I've been using them with not issues so far. They are wearing in and the ratchet action is becoming easier and smoother.

As I thought, they are very helpful with full wraps.

MS500i R

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest update, Philbert,
The rivet failure was a pretty rare occurrence, but I've seen it happen... glad we were able to get you a good replacement, quick!
The BIG news is that we ran out of inventory and we're waiting for the next shipment.
We'll be sure to share the news, here, when we're back in stock!
In the mean time, Bailey's Online has a small amount of inventory, here:

https://www.baileysonline.com/ratchet-scrench-19mm-x-13mm-17277.html

For the next batch will you be staying with a 12 point, or moving to 6?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scrench Save

Took a while to get around to it, but got a rivet from the hardware store, cut it down, and brought the RatchetScrench (OOOPS!) above back to life!

IMG_0356.jpg IMG_0357.jpg IMG_0358.jpg

If you find yourself in a similar situation . . . keep track of that little ball bearing, because it likes to run. And choose a rivet with a smaller head than I did. My rivet expanded, when peened, so that the shaft turns with the directional switch, and the head was hitting the casting - had to shave the rivet head down a bit so that the switch turns freely, and the ratchet action works again.

Philbert

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could have clipped a coil off the pawl spring to decrease the backdrag of the ratchet. Even replace with a softer spring to make the action smoother and require less resistance to ratchet.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could have clipped a coil off the pawl spring to decrease the backdrag of the ratchet.
Issue was not spring tension; it was resistance to the switch moving / rotating freely. Did not occur to me that the shaft of the rivet would expand that much when peened.

Philbert

RatchetScrench

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scrench Save

Took a while to get around to it, but got a rivet from the hardware store, cut it down, and brought the RetchetScrench (OOOPS!) above back to life!

View attachment 264063 View attachment 264064 View attachment 264065

If you find yourself in a similar situation . . . keep track of that little ball bearing, because it likes to run. And choose a rivet with a smaller head than I did. My rivet expanded, when peened, so that the shaft turns with the directional switch, and the head was hitting the casting - had to shave the rivet head down a bit so that the switch turns freely, and the ratchet action works again.

Philbert

Thanks, Philbert!
FYI, we're betting that the next version of the RatchetScrench will phase out these kinds of issues, but I definitely appreciate your ingenuity! (Next version should be available early 2021; If anyone wants to be alerted as soon as they're for sale, again, please sign up at RatchetScrench.com).
Happy holiday wrenching!