Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get a chance to fly in a chopper, do it

^^^^Yep. One of my favorite military experiences was flying in a UH-1 Huey in about 1988. The doors were off and we were sitting on the floor with our legs hanging out. Pilot was trying to scare the crap out of us, but it ended up just being a really fun ride.

I've taken lots of rides in Blackhawks (UH-60), combat zones and otherwise, as well as Chinooks (CH-47), but it's a completely different experience than the Huey.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^Yep. One of my favorite military experiences was flying in a UH-1 Huey in about 1988. The doors were off and we were sitting on the floor with our legs hanging out. Pilot was trying to scare the crap out of us, but it ended up just being a really fun ride.

'84 in Germany. Rode a Huey from our remote site Hohen Bogen down to Augsburg field station. I was harnessed in and stepped out into the slipstream on the step rail. Vietnam Vet pilot took us down to treetop level for the last few miles into the field station. We were maybe 6' above the crops in the fields and popped up over the tree lines at the fence rows... What a THRILL.

I can't imagine what that ride would be like if you knew you were gonna be dropped into a hot zone at the end of the ride. My deepest respect to the Vets that have seen combat. I simply fixed radios during my time in the Army.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
3:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t run through the bamboo without a shirt.

Meh, they ain’t even supposed to fly… I’ve flown in everything from a 210, 212, 214, 412, 426, 76, 76+, 76++ 92, Bowcal and all the military junk, Huey, Blackhawk, and Ch47.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
3:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh, they ain’t even supposed to fly… I’ve flown in everything from a 210, 212, 214, 412, 426, 76, 76+, 76++ 92, Bowcal and all the military junk, Huey, Blackhawk, and Ch47
Meh, they ain’t even supposed to fly… I’ve flown in everything from a 210, 212, 214, 412, 426, 76, 76+, 76++ 92, Bowcal and all the military junk, Huey, Blackhawk, and

Don’t run through the bamboo without a shirt.

I’ve only ever jumped out of Military Choppers and that wax on purpose…

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've taken lots of rides in Blackhawks (UH-60), combat zones and otherwise, as well as Chinooks (CH-47), but it's a completely different experience than the Huey.
Blackhawk rode like a Cadillac compared to the Huey. Maybe four blades compared to two?

Nothing like a NOE ride, hitting treetops with the skids and flipping side to side in crazy turns. I think now I would throw up my guts, but back then, pretty darn awesome ride.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blackhawk rode like a Cadillac compared to the Huey. Maybe four blades compared to two?

Nothing like a NOE ride, hitting treetops with the skids and flipping side to side in crazy turns. I think now I would throw up my guts, but back then, pretty darn awesome ride.

Blackhawk is a lot heavier than a Huey (10 tons vs. 4.3 tons); that likely contributed to ride. I suspect 4 blades helped, too.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son has 13 years active in Coast Guards and still in reserves. They had an exchange day with local Army National Guards, Army brought a helicopter and took Coast Guards for a ride, tried to make them sick with maneuvers, did not work. At the time Coast Guard was using 31 foot boat, took Army out in 8 footer. BM slowed boat and crew stepped up on rails, Army guys stood in 3 foot of water, when BM backed into wave. Boats Mate went broadside to waves rolling over them, producing many directions of movement. Two Army members deposited their lunch over side rail. Son and crew pulled 2 retired Navy members from 18 foot Lund in 11 foot waves, boat was swamped, Navy guys said they had lost their minds for coming to get them. They had severed on ocean naval ships and had been in 40+ foot waves, but whole different experience.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was watching that TV series "1883" and it left me thinking about how many people I've seen die to this one particular tune (in movies, mind you). Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata, about the first 6 mins of video or so, is what covers it.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't talk to me in the morning as long as You see me sip coffee out of my 0.5 liter mug!

And if You do so anyway why don't You STOP talking to me once I reply spitefully?!

Some (most!) people just don't get a hint when it hits them in their face.