Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, it was a fun one, not.
Thats a good price, better grab a couple.
I actually have quite a few, dont tell anyone though lol.
660's with a heavy bar and a smooth cutting chain arent bad. I may run my ported 440 later today, tuning a 20" square chain for the ported 70cc saws, hopefully I don't need any therapy on my wrists afterwards:risas3:. Should be a smooth chain.
Finger added for focus, I'd crop it if I was on the computer.
View attachment 206283
That chain looks nice! Here is a pic of that Sweden Stihl bar3FF6EFC5-0C8B-4540-8DAF-38480D340C4F.jpegGot it on a west German 028 that I picked up and flipped, I traded bars to an 024 I built for my dad

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meet the heating tech at a job we were working on, the propane heaters weren’t working...E6B5734B-4067-48DD-9890-31BB0872B79C.jpeg228F7FB4-BF0E-4827-9D18-C68D2B6EFBEA.jpeg Some birds had made nests in the ducts! That was an issue and the pressure regulators stuck to 2.5psi instead of 9 psi

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
660's with a heavy bar and a smooth cutting chain arent bad. I may run my ported 440 later today, tuning a 20" square chain for the ported 70cc saws, hopefully I don't need any therapy on my wrists afterwards:risas3:. Should be a smooth chain.
View attachment 206283
Converted or bought?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 206283

I wish I could run square here, but the wood is just too dirty. I even have some teeth on the semi chisel chain showing damage. But the difference is a damaged semi chisel still chugs along.

I ended up ordering a 10mm piston for the 044 and a new primary coil for the 288 from DVA - the Greek guys. They had a sale, so I basically got them both without paying for shipping. I think both came out to ~€60 delivered. When the piston arrives I'll do a mild port job since I have to clean up the jug. This is assuming the damage to the jug isn't too bad...

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I could run square here, but the wood is just too dirty. I even have some teeth on the semi chisel chain showing damage. But the difference is a damaged semi chisel still chugs along.

I ended up ordering a 10mm piston for the 044 and a new primary coil for the 288 from DVA - the Greek guys. They had a sale, so I basically got them both without paying for shipping. I think both came out to ~€60 delivered. When the piston arrives I'll do a mild port job since I have to clean up the jug. This is assuming the damage to the jug isn't too bad...
The great thing for me is the suburban is usually only just out of the drop area, except when it not lol. Which means all I have to do is grab another chain or another saw thats full of fluids and ready to go. On the 50cc saws I will run semi chisel on jobs many times, I can run 3-4 tanks without touching it up which is a lot of climbing. While its not as fast as full it makes up for it in durability, similarly I run mainly Autotune and Mtronic saws on jobs, I could care less about the fuel/cash saved but the time saved not refueling, not chasing bar nuts, not tuning, not having to turn the master switch back to run, and the power/weight of the newer saws is great as well.
Glad you're getting that beasty 044 back together. I didn't get to run mine(440) yesterday, I ran my buddies 311 that I did a chain for on the round grinder. He sent me a text saying "the chain was awesome BTW", he normally gets them done at the hardware store even though I tell him time and time again bring them over, I think he pays 6-7 and I'd knock them out for free(he is actually very careful to keep them out of the dirt so they aren't bad) . I also told him to sell his 311 and get a 2166 from me, same weight, but .06 more up in stock form and not hard to add another .08 by doing the transfer covers so 1.4 more hp in the same weight lol. I was running my ported 2166 on a job he got a bit ago with a round chain set up for hardwood, he was amazed at how it cut, just think if I's have had a square on there with the rakers set for the softer wood we were cutting lol.
Converted or bought?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That one was sent with some other things I bought in a package deal and was already squared up, I just reset the angles on it for hardwood. I convert them unless it's a similar deal like that, but I'm not opposed to buying square chain, but I usually get deals on round and convert them.
Mild play chain. Sure wish I had a better camera for these pics, the phone doesn't do what you ask it to.
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.19.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.20.20 AM.png

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That chain looks nice! Here is a pic of that Sweden Stihl barView attachment 206369Got it on a west German 028 that I picked up and flipped, I traded bars to an 024 I built for my dad
Thanks. Still haven't set the rakers on it yet, probably going to take .008-.010 off since its for the 70cc saws, I like them to bore smooth so not too much.
Thats cool, its interesting how many places these companies have had parts manufactured through the yrs. Also interesting is why they don't currently manufacturer in the same countries, sure much of it is in direct relation to profits, but there must be other factors too.
I was just told NGK lost the contract for stihl because stihl wanted the top part that unscrews to not be able to, I think bosch now has the contract. Be clear this was just passed on info not something I know as fact.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The great thing for me is the suburban is usually only just out of the drop area, except when it not lol. Which means all I have to do is grab another chain or another saw thats full of fluids and ready to go. On the 50cc saws I will run semi chisel on jobs many times, I can run 3-4 tanks without touching it up which is a lot of climbing. While its not as fast as full it makes up for it in durability, similarly I run mainly Autotune and Mtronic saws on jobs, I could care less about the fuel/cash saved but the time saved not refueling, not chasing bar nuts, not tuning, not having to turn the master switch back to run, and the power/weight of the newer saws is great as well.
Glad you're getting that beasty 044 back together. I didn't get to run mine(440) yesterday, I ran my buddies 311 that I did a chain for on the round grinder. He sent me a text saying "the chain was awesome BTW", he normally gets them done at the hardware store even though I tell him time and time again bring them over, I think he pays 6-7 and I'd knock them out for free(he is actually very careful to keep them out of the dirt so they aren't bad) . I also told him to sell his 311 and get a 2166 from me, same weight, but .06 more up in stock form and not hard to add another .08 by doing the transfer covers so 1.4 more hp in the same weight lol. I was running my ported 2166 on a job he got a bit ago with a round chain set up for hardwood, he was amazed at how it cut, just think if I's have had a square on there with the rakers set for the softer wood we were cutting lol.

That one was sent with some other things I bought in a package deal and was already squared up, I just reset the angles on it for hardwood. I convert them unless it's a similar deal like that, but I'm not opposed to buying square chain, but I usually get deals on round and convert them.
Mild play chain. Sure wish I had a better camera for these pics, the phone doesn't do what you ask it to.
View attachment 206397 View attachment 206398

Yeah, it's nice to able to cut and cut and cut. And, frankly, in the field I think full chisel only cuts faster for a few minutes in perfectly clean wood. Outside of that, I think a well set up piece of semi chisel will beat it within a couple of tanks for wood cut. I also tailor my semi to the saw. The 288 can pull a full comp 102 or 98 of semi with stupidly low and dangerous rakers - watch it when you use the back bar. So it removes a load of chips when it cuts. If you look at my 044 vid - that's semi chisel chain in hard red oak, and it is sending out loads of wood per revolution. You can see it kick back at me when I am using it from the right on the vid at :015 ish, and also see the huge ruts in the wood. A smooth cut it ain't, but it will do that cutting all day long:

I started with full chisel on this oak blow down by a lake in a paddock we keep cattle. After that dulled super fast, I went to the 30" bar from the 288 carrying 98dl semi chisel. This is with the very angry ported saw I got from Randy - so it pulled a full comp semi chisel with low rakers in solid semi seasoned red oak. I used the 044 instead of the 288 just to see if it could do it.

159322562.H7kGba83.jpg

159340544.udxz8kZN.jpg

this oak has been sittin in a field for years:

163900658.Vc376DkN.jpg

163900660.CIQOndaW.jpg

And when I say 'dirty' I don't just mean dirt:

On an estate, you will hit nails and wire.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks.

There's a big one across the street, we don't have many around here, but I see them in yard now and then.
I only know of one that isn't totally a yard tree, it's in a buddies back yard near a creek.

This one flowered twice this year , and took a bit of weight off a couple of years ago gotta another one on the estate that’s blocked in by a over grown sycamore
Hedge will work on that one this winter