ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Alabama? I haven't found a single damn thing that looks like that. Mebbe it's the Hound of the Baskervilles?

na there only 15 miles from me , and that monster got too much fur

i think you need too get hold of wild bill , huckleberry and Willie so sort that out

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cars summer tires, even though I rotate them every year front to rear/rear to front (NOT left to right/right to left!) the difference in wear between the tires is noticeable.
IMG_20220504_112725~3.jpg

Random thought: I think I will get new summer tires next year/summer, these are on their fifth season and they felt slippy in the rain last summer.
I'll see how these will perform throughout this summer and go from there.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cars summer tires, even though I rotate them every year front to rear/rear to front (NOT left to right/right to left!) the difference in wear between the tires is noticeable.
View attachment 335541

Random thought: I think I will get new summer tires next year/summer, these are on their fifth season and they felt slippy in the rain last summer.
When I rotate my tires I flip the 2 front onto the rear(front left will go rear right etc), and the rears just move forward no flip

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 335541

What kind of tire?

What kind of car?

How deep is the tread?

How many miles/kms traveled between rotations?

Alignment last checked or set?

You will have different wear patterns front to rear which is why you rotate them regularly. Usually the drive axle wears faster.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of tire?

What kind of car?

How deep is the tread?

How many miles/kms traveled between rotations?

Alignment last checked or set?

You will have different wear patterns front to rear which is why you rotate them regularly. Usually the drive axle wears faster.
Lightweight sedan, about 1100kg empty mass, FWD, 86HP 4-cylinder 8-valve 1.6 liter atmospheric engine, 2004. Dacia Logan 1.6MPi.
Usually drives only me around, as such driver side is the loaded side.

The tires threads are still about 6mm.

Regarding total tire mileage I'd have to check my notes, but they are in use 6 months a year and I rotate them annually , I purchased them 2017.
I don't drive much, 3-4k Km annually, mostly town traffic.

They are Continentals, very soft and when they were new they held on to the tarmac phenomenally - they are starting to loose grip though.

My car gets an annual checkup at the Renault dealership, I have no clue whether alignment is being checked.

I have no problem purchasing new tires, I am on my 2nd summer and 3rd winter set since I bought my car.
I don't change tires when I wear them out, I change them when they loose their characteristics/grip.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is industry standard and the correct way to do it for non directional tires.
One can do that with most modern summer tires, but not winter tires which tend to be directional specific.

I just go front to rear, rear to front!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lightweight sedan, about 1100kg empty mass, FWD, 86HP 4-cylinder 8-valve 1.6 liter atmospheric engine, 2004. Dacia Logan 1.6MPi.
Usually drives only me around, as such driver side is the loaded side.

The tires threads are still about 6mm.

Regarding total tire mileage I'd have to check my notes, but they are in use 6 months a year and I rotate them annually , I purchased them 2017.
I don't drive much, 3-4k Km annually, mostly town traffic.

They are Continentals, very soft and when they were new they held on to the tarmac phenomenally - they are starting to loose grip though.

My car gets an annual checkup at the Renault dealership, I have no clue whether alignment is being checked.

I have no problem purchasing new tires, I am on my 2nd summer and 3rd winter set since I bought my car.
I don't change tires when I wear them out, I change them when they loose their characteristics/grip.

6mm is when tires start to loose wet traction on passenger vehicles. The older they get definitely magnifies the traction loss. I too replace my tires around 5mm. Small price to pay to keep everyone safer.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
7:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
6mm is when tires start to loose wet traction on passenger vehicles. The older they get definitely magnifies the traction loss. I too replace my tires around 5mm. Small price to pay to keep everyone safer.
In a move that can only have been designed to benefit the crash industry here, our legal tyre minimum is 1.5mm (1/16 ?) across 75% of the tyre. Of course, most take the limit as a target...

As an ex tyre guy, i'm with you Steve. Earlier is better. Your long lasting tyre isn't much good to you if you're spun off into a tree ay.