Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
4:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess my question would be why do you continue to do it if you’re not making any money? Why not spend all that extra time in your shop making money? I believe the reason you continue to do it is because you enjoy it! Am I not correct?
That I do. It is satisfying to have work that is not all repetitious like my day job. We have hit the point where we can make some money off it since everything is paid for. Not much but it has paid for all the equipment that we have bought. I tell people at least if it hits the fan I won't go hungry.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20211124_164557.jpg
Wind has been blowing like crazy for last 24+ hours. All I could get done was hang some lights. These LED lights are getting much better now a days and the price has dropped considerably. $110 for 5200LM 6500K 4 foot shop lights. I hope they last for some time. Seems that the drivers in most of the lights are the main problem with them now, not so much the LED themselves.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a story for you auto mechanic guys.

Guy spent a chunk of $ to have his truck LS swapped over in the big city 4 hours away. ‘67 Chevy or something. Had all kinds of weird intermittent running issues, back to the shop twice or something. Finally took it to the local guy in podunk who’s pretty good (has my maybe buy Ford 6.0 diesel now). He puts it up on the rack and in ten mins discovers the batt ground cable is loose.

That reminds me of an old one I’ll tell on myself. When I was a kid my first vehicle was a CJ-7. Modded it pretty good for crawling, Dana 44s, lockers, 35s, beat it til the frame and body mounts fell apart and parted it out but still have the body. Early on, I put a Jacob’s High Energy Ignition on it. Went out to the desert to meet a coworker that was testing the “terrible scout” he and his buddies raced. Never found them and then the jeep just shut off. Crank, no fire. I checked everything I could think of on the passenger side, light on the ign box was on, etc. I called my mom n step dad and they came to pick me up…carried my toolbox across the desert to the highway to meet them cuz I didn’t want my stuff stolen. I think we dragged it out of the desert with my grandpa’s 2wd posi Chevy 1500, a miracle we managed to dodge all the sandy spots. Then we went into town and got another truck and trailer and come alongs. I got home at 1am or something. After work the next day I went to try to trouble shoot it…I had forgotten that the ign sys tied into the factory harness on the driver side and had come partially unplugged because the plastic retainer had gotten brittle and snapped. The instructions had said to zip tie it and I had forgotten. Plugged it in and vroom!

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!
34B316B7-476B-4938-91FB-E7FCA50415D5.jpeg 41DF0597-95D4-4D88-8230-88A8010D59A7.jpeg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a story for you auto mechanic guys.

Guy spent a chunk of $ to have his truck LS swapped over in the big city 4 hours away. ‘67 Chevy or something. Had all kinds of weird intermittent running issues, back to the shop twice or something. Finally took it to the local guy in podunk who’s pretty good (has my maybe buy Ford 6.0 diesel now). He puts it up on the rack and in ten mins discovers the batt ground cable is loose.

That reminds me of an old one I’ll tell on myself. When I was a kid my first vehicle was a CJ-7. Modded it pretty good for crawling, Dana 44s, lockers, 35s, beat it til the frame and body mounts fell apart and parted it out but still have the body. Early on, I put a Jacob’s High Energy Ignition on it. Went out to the desert to meet a coworker that was testing the “terrible scout” he and his buddies raced. Never found them and then the jeep just shut off. Crank, no fire. I checked everything I could think of on the passenger side, light on the ign box was on, etc. I called my mom n step dad and they came to pick me up…carried my toolbox across the desert to the highway to meet them cuz I didn’t want my stuff stolen. I think we dragged it out of the desert with my grandpa’s 2wd posi Chevy 1500, a miracle we managed to dodge all the sandy spots. Then we went into town and got another truck and trailer and come alongs. I got home at 1am or something. After work the next day I went to try to trouble shoot it…I had forgotten that the ign sys tied into the factory harness on the driver side and had come partially unplugged because the plastic retainer had gotten brittle and snapped. The instructions had said to zip tie it and I had forgotten. Plugged it in and vroom!

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!
View attachment 317292 View attachment 317295

That's pics are awesome David!

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why could the dealer not find these chaffed wires?

View attachment 317289

Because the Prodigy would have been "unable to duplicate" the problem and VaJayna would have reprogrammed the ECM. Lord of the wrench would have tossed a crank sensor at it and when it returned the next day would have claimed the broken exhaust bolt caused it to lean out and short the crank sensor he installed thereby backfeeding the 5 volt ref to the signal circuit and chaffing the wire.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7b5f9d446c518690c1f60a8d304e719c.jpg
8ad18f599cef0088d6fff676dbb8afbf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20211128_080605.jpg IMG_20211128_080620.jpg IMG_20211128_173631.jpg
Had some extra hands yesterday. Only two left to go. Going to make the boy cut up those shipping cradles since they are oak for firewood. I'll give him the sawzall and tell him to get it done. Had to work some chores I've been putting off lately like shooting some calves.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
We been flooding here in BC.
Custom 1957 GMC,, running when parked.
Also missing 5 acres and a backhoe.
57chev.jpg

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!