Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is it?

Interlock for DWI driver would be my guess. Breathalyzer before you can start the car. Delivered several of those for a few years to a local shop.

This^^. I have to tap into constant 12v, ign, horn, 4 ways and inhibit start signal. If they break the rules, the state of Tenn and their case manager see it instantly and track where they are (at all times).

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i would not shot him. just kidding.
He was sold this year to a hunting preserve. I was told what someone paid to shoot it and I hate to think how many calves I would have to sell to pay for something like that. Let's just say I have a shop in my yard rather than a head on the wall.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He was sold this year to a hunting preserve. I was told what someone paid to shoot it and I hate to think how many calves I would have to sell to pay for something like that. Let's just say I have a shop in my yard rather than a head on the wall.

Depends on the deer but the game farm near me gets right around 10 grand for a hunt in their 200 acre high fence "hunting preserve".
They have a number of pens, one that comes right up to a road typically has 50 or so bucks in it at a guess.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on the deer but the game farm near me gets right around 10 grand for a hunt in their 200 acre high fence "hunting preserve".
They have a number of pens, one that comes right up to a road typically has 50 or so bucks in it at a guess.
Laws around here require 8 foot fences and 360 acres minimum. This was 4 times that amount or so. All inclusive hunt with imported personal chef and fishing when not hunting.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Laws around here require 8 foot fences and 360 acres minimum. This was 4 times that amount or so. All inclusive hunt with imported personal chef and fishing when not hunting.

The entire game farm is over 1000 acres.

I believe that, I've seen ads for a number of them and hunting high fence is not a poor man's game for certain.

Do they go by the point? Many of the ones here have a minimum price, then number of points and spread of rack determine the final dollar amount.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The entire game farm is over 1000 acres.

I believe that, I've seen ads for a number of them and hunting high fence is not a poor man's game for certain.

Do they go by the point? Many of the ones here have a minimum price, then number of points and spread of rack determine the final dollar amount.
I would imagine it would be the same here. I fall under the poor man so I have never even though about pricing it. I know the farm goes by point, width and mass, but the prices vary I think also by what the buck is used for. I think breeders go for a higher price than shooters. They have been in this for a while and can show pictures back several generations for people wanting to upgrade their herds. Kind of like cattle, had a calf die last week and I was put out because of a $500 loss. Can't imagine what it would be like on a $20,000+ potential loss on a single animal.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would imagine it would be the same here. I fall under the poor man so I have never even though about pricing it. I know the farm goes by point, width and mass, but the prices vary I think also by what the buck is used for. I think breeders go for a higher price than shooters. They have been in this for a while and can show pictures back several generations for people wanting to upgrade their herds. Kind of like cattle, had a calf die last week and I was put out because of a $500 loss. Can't imagine what it would be like on a $20,000+ potential loss on a single animal.

What we get for our cattle is bs. Same as it was 20 years ago......

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too many middle men with their fingers in the till. I am certain a lot of what gets sold around here just gets taken to bigger markets for resale. Problem is us smaller producers can't take the time to haul things 100+ miles when the sales are going on. If I had 30+ head going at one time I might do it, but it isn't feasible for the few we take at any given time. Only way to do it is pool in with several smaller producers and hire someone to haul for us.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too many middle men with their fingers in the till. I am certain a lot of what gets sold around here just gets taken to bigger markets for resale. Problem is us smaller producers can't take the time to haul things 100+ miles when the sales are going on. If I had 30+ head going at one time I might do it, but it isn't feasible for the few we take at any given time. Only way to do it is pool in with several smaller producers and hire someone to haul for us.

Here they want 50,000 lb loads of animals that all weigh close to the same weight coming into the big processing area in Kentucky. That means most of us sell to the bigger cattle guys, and they haul truckloads to KY.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here they want 50,000 lb loads of animals that all weigh close to the same weight coming into the big processing area in Kentucky. That means most of us sell to the bigger cattle guys, and they haul truckloads to KY.
Price out butcher cows and bulls. Used to bring better money since they were sent straight to slaughter pretty much and there was not the finishing cost for younger animals. Now 40 to 50 cents a pound for cows and 70 to 90 cents for bulls around here. Hands are tied on selling because the alternative is to let them die on the place when they get old. Sometimes its hard to remember its a business when you have raised them from birth.

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess my question would be why do you continue to do it if you’re not making any money? Why not spend all that extra time in your shop making money? I believe the reason you continue to do it is because you enjoy it! Am I not correct?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My old neighbor where I used to live started one of those
He made it about 15ft
And it set that way for 20 year's
I'm not joking.
Then I visited him last week and it was done I said took you long enough.
He said he was selling a van
And let a guy have it to finish the building.
IMG_20211124_160235.jpg
The right side is not shaded that's where he quit working on it 20 year's ago