Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should have sent me a message about three weeks ago. We parted a late 90hp opti out. Parts are long gone but I'm going to check and see if we have any other parts hanging around for you.

Steven
My luck, day late dollar short.

I agree with bigmac.
Sounds spark related. My optimax had a recall for all the coils. It a 07 opti 115
Found that out after it did same as yours in the water. All replaced under waranty.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Warranty over on these. I just bought new from the bay and replaced the old ones since they were close to being out of resistance tolerance.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My luck, day late dollar short.

Warranty over on these. I just bought new from the bay and replaced the old ones since they were close to being out of resistance tolerance.
Do your plugs have ground straps? Sometimes closing the gap can improve preformance if things are weak, or change it a little to help diagnose the issue, and don’t overlook spark plugs, have gotten complete boxes of bad plugs, can make trouble shooting difficult!

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do your plugs have ground straps? Sometimes closing the gap can improve preformance if things are weak, or change it a little to help diagnose the issue, and don’t overlook spark plugs, have gotten complete boxes of bad plugs, can make trouble shooting difficult!
IMG_20210801_185110.jpg
Yep with iridium tips. Long reads on the interweb about the proper way to gap these things and at $12+ a pop makes it hard to throw three in too many times in a row. This is the third set since I have been fighting this thing.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 304543
Yep with iridium tips. Long reads on the interweb about the proper way to gap these things and at $12+ a pop makes it hard to throw three in too many times in a row. This is the third set since I have been fighting this thing.

If you think I may be spark related get some cheap copper plugs. Platinum, rhodium, and iridium are poor conductors and require a lot of kV to fire. I had a comeback on Wednesday due to a bad new coil. Have you tested spark with a tester? Resistance is a great check for an open or shorted coil but tells you nothing for it's actual energy output. If those iridium plugs are the correct plug for the engine I woul like to see no less than 30 kV from the coils. That should be about a 7/8" gap.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you think I may be spark related get some cheap copper plugs. Platinum, rhodium, and iridium are poor conductors and require a lot of kV to fire. I had a comeback on Wednesday due to a bad new coil. Have you tested spark with a tester? Resistance is a great check for an open or shorted coil but tells you nothing for it's actual energy output. If those iridium plugs are the correct plug for the engine I woul like to see no less than 30 kV from the coils. That should be about a 7/8" gap.
IMG_20210729_070938.jpg
IMG_20210806_070309.jpg
Not yet with a tester. Was getting ready to order one and hadn't decided on adjustable or not. Work has been stupid and trying to keep up with everything here has been a challenge. By time I get home I'm wiped out and still trying to keep going. Spark tester ordered now.

Last edited:

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Stevetheboatguy
I would send you a PM but sometimes it is better to have things in general discussion so others can learn. I glean a lot of info with postings. This is Rinda screenshot after last time, motor on hose in yard. Only codes are from things not installed on engine. After pulley gets here hopefully tomorrow I can fire it up and get any other info that might be helpful.

Engine Controller Type: Mercury Optimax Smartcraft ECM
Engine System Information
Engine Load = 14.52 %
Throttle Percent = 0.00 %
Available Power = 100 %
TPS 1 Voltage = 0.57 VDC
Demand = 0.00 %
TPS 2 Voltage = 0.00 VDC
Power Limit Setpoint = 100 %
Manifold Absolute Pressure = 12.97 PSI
Starboard Coolant Temp = 127.40 °F
Baro Pressure = 14.09 PSI
Port Coolant Temp = 32.00 °F
Block Pressure = 4.38 PSI
Charge Temperature = 93.20 °F
Battery Voltage = 13.97 VDC
Air Compressor Temperature = 77.00 °F
Sensor Power = 5.01 VDC
Lake/Sea Temp = 32.00 °F
Sensor Power 2 = 5.02 VDC
Oil Level = 1023 #
Shift Position = Neutral
Oil Inj Count = 2 #
Fuel Per Cylinder = 4.34 mg
Trim Position = 0 #
Fuel Flow Rate = 0.19 GPH
Trim Percent = 0.00 %
Fuel Level = 1023 #
Paddle Wheel = 0 Hz
Break-In Remaining = 0 min
Pitot ADC = 0 #
Guardian Cause = Not Specified

Engine Trouble Codes

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Stevetheboatguy
I would send you a PM but sometimes it is better to have things in general discussion so others can learn. I glean a lot of info with postings. This is Rinda screenshot after last time, motor on hose in yard. Only codes are from things not installed on engine. After pulley gets here hopefully tomorrow I can fire it up and get any other info that might be helpful.

Engine Load = 14.52 %
Available Power = 100 %
TPS 1 Voltage = 0.57 VDC
Demand = 0.00 %
TPS 2 Voltage = 0.00 VDC
Sensor Power = 5.01 VDC
Lake/Sea Temp = 32.00 °F
Oil Level = 1023 #
Shift Position = Neutral
Oil Inj Count = 2 #
Trim Position = 0 #
Trim Percent = 0.00 %
Fuel Level = 1023 #
Paddle Wheel = 0 Hz
Pitot ADC = 0 #

Engine Trouble Codes

What's with port temp and lake temp at 32°? Is it not equipped with those sensors?

I agree with sharing the info in the open forums. Helps everyone.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 304555
View attachment 304556
Not yet with a tester. Was getting ready to order one and hadn't decided on adjustable or not. Work has been stupid and trying to keep up with everything here has been a challenge. By time I get home I'm wiped out and still trying to keep going. Spark tester ordered now.

I hear you Tony. Between work and being in the hayfield and floating this week I got home yesterday and tried to keep going but failed. Wife and kids went out so I just showered up and climbed into bed little before 6! Been a very long time since I fell asleep before the sun!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Tony. Between work and being in the hayfield and floating this week I got home yesterday and tried to keep going but failed. Wife and kids went out so I just showered up and climbed into bed little before 6! Been a very long time since I fell asleep before the sun!

I went up with the chickens last night myself. I've had a nasty cold.....and been pushing on regardless. Caught up with me yesterday.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
5e87aee3b144f3ea3623428aabe722c8.jpg

46b3115f97c1471ff4df78a758b706ee.jpg

Hopefully this little thing will matter
Indian Falls, Ca
Wiped out
Greenville, Ca wiped out

https://activenorcal.com/town-of-greenville-completely-devastated-by-dixie-fire/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing is happening here,,,

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been a poor couple weeks there in Tennessee lately. Glenda feeling better I hope?

Yeah. She's much improved. Her and our grandson Jonathon are working the 127 Yard Sale mess as food vendors. Goes till Sunday.....

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 304543
12 bucks a pop? I wish. They are over 30 bucks a pop here in ontario

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Stevetheboatguy

Engine Load = 14.52 %
Available Power = 100 %
TPS 1 Voltage = 0.57 VDC
Demand = 0.00 %
TPS 2 Voltage = 0.00 VDC
Sensor Power = 5.01 VDC
Lake/Sea Temp = 32.00 °F
Oil Level = 1023 #
Shift Position = Neutral
Oil Inj Count = 2 #
Trim Position = 0 #
Trim Percent = 0.00 %
Fuel Level = 1023 #
Paddle Wheel = 0 Hz
Pitot ADC = 0 #

Engine Trouble Codes

No worries. The reason I said pm is that way I will get a notification. I can go mia for times on end. (Work & family prioritize my time)

Are those cdm's oem or am?

And @Steve has a good point about the plugs. But do not run regular plugs in that engine. They cause big issues even in the short term. Look at the plugs you took out for any carbon or exhaust discoloration. They are sensitive to gap and torque. Most people can't gap them properly. I'm sure you are the exception but we always tell guys doing their own plugs. Don't touch the gap just put them in straight from the box. A tight gap won't hurt your performance. Slightly shorten the plug life yes. But not significantly.

Can you run it at speed in the dark? Know anyone who will let you strap it up to their Dyno? Would make it easier to find a shorting elec component.

Temp sensor is funny because there's only one sensor on that ecu and the ecu board is shared with several other engines. Can drive you nuts looking at that stuff.

Steven

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No worries. The reason I said pm is that way I will get a notification. I can go mia for times on end. (Work & family prioritize my time)

Are those cdm's oem or am?

And @Steve has a good point about the plugs. But do not run regular plugs in that engine. They cause big issues even in the short term. Look at the plugs you took out for any carbon or exhaust discoloration. They are sensitive to gap and torque. Most people can't gap them properly. I'm sure you are the exception but we always tell guys doing their own plugs. Don't touch the gap just put them in straight from the box. A tight gap won't hurt your performance. Slightly shorten the plug life yes. But not significantly.

Can you run it at speed in the dark? Know anyone who will let you strap it up to their Dyno? Would make it easier to find a shorting elec component.

Temp sensor is funny because there's only one sensor on that ecu and the ecu board is shared with several other engines. Can drive you nuts looking at that stuff.

Steven

Why not regular plugs? Asking for a friend...:D